Pods in filter sock

squid row

I introduced pods two weeks ago and today I went to clean the filter sock and i could see at least a dozen large ones squirming in the fiber of the filter sock.

Normally I would just toss the sock and replace it with new but now i don't want to lose the pods.

What should I do??

Stop using filter socks on a regular basis. Use them only when needed, like after cleaning and you stirred up stuff.

You can always put the pods back in your tank. Fairly easy to do. Turn your sock inside out and then toss them back in.

If you are keeping fish that need pods (any dragonet/mandy/scooter) you should pretty well limit use of filtration media to rare emergencies, because yes, pods go right through your pump, and WILL get taken out by your filter sock or other fibrous media.

As others said above: don't use socks. I found them fairly useless during normal tank operation and use them only during big tank cleanings that stir up large amounts of detritus and mud.
For normal operation coarse open cell foam blocks are better as they trap plenty of dirt and at the same time provide homes for a many species of pods.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

can i ask why some of you say not to use filter socks? is there disadvantages for using them? im talking about on regular basis, if i dont care about what traps in it.

They require frequent cleaning, making you a slave to something that prevents life (pods) from flowing through your system. Just my opinion though. You want a filter sock, enjoy it!

in my case they trap bubble algae in them.
But i was thinking more about corals. is there disadvantage in keeping filters? like do the strip corals from food?

There are pluses and minuses to filter socks. I'm sure they do remove stuff corals could eat, but a lot of successful reefers still use them. Lot's of different ideas and opinions in aquarium keeping. Amazingly, many wildly different methods can succeed! The choice is yours.

Back