Poison?

fishkid6692

So last night all my tanks(three separate systems) were cloudy white when I got home. I only have 4 fish, 2 picassos in a ten gallon and my eibli/lemonpeel angel pair in a 10g nuvo because I had to move their 29g tall from my other house. All fish were laying on the bottom gasping for air and twitching. I grabbed the test kits obviously and thought maybe I had a mini cycle or something but then I thought, what are the Janice's of that happening in both tanks( both 10gs)? Everything tested fine except PH which was almost too low for the high range PH test to read which is really wierd because it was at 8.3 that morning when I tested. I thought about what could have gone wrong in both tanks in the 30 minutes I left the house and it just popped into my head a few minutes ago that the only thing that could have happened was something contaminated the tanks. I started of thinking of what could have happened and I just couldn't come up with a reason for something accidentally getting into the tank so my only conclusion was foul play. My mother doesn't like the rest of the family or me, and she hasn't for years. When I got my first real job when I got back from school she called the cops and said that I beat her up and bashed in all her car windows because I didn't re make the ice tea........yes, you read that right, my mother made up a story to the police because I didn't re make the ice tea. Thankfully there were other family members in the house to tell them what she did and why, it also helped that when she said I broke all her car windows, and when they showed up all the windows were fine.....so either she has a really fast glass company or someone lied. She has always been mildly mentally ill with bi polar disorder but it has gotten worse over the years. I'm still in court for what she did and I lost my job and haven't been able to get one since because of this situation. Thankfully after my family helped me get a lawyer, I proved my innocence in court and they're wiping my record clear in the next court date. It's really been a nightmare to go through this and be treated like a criminal, I've lost everything including my car paying to fight through this and I'm glad to finally be done. My family let her stay in the house for the time because they thought she retaliate and try to make up more lies if they kicked her out during the court proceedings. Now that I'm done they started the eviction process and she only has a few weeks left so she's been really conniving and I'm next to positive she put something in my tanks as revenge. A few months ago when I left the house she unlocked my dogs cage and put him in my room, he destroyed my brand new $2500 Tempur pedic, my MacBook, DSLR camera, 60" flatscreen, clothes, over $5000 in damage was caused because of her spiteful actions. Thankfully I have the rest of my family that Hs helped me through this because they know about her problems and what she does. Sorry for the long personal story but I didn't want to just say "my mom poisened my tank" and seem like I'm delusional. I did huge water changes and am running a lot of carbon but I've already lost the eibli angel that was the nicest eibli I've ever seen, and what's really disappointing is after 4 months with the Angels I just got my first couple spawn attempts from them and I was so excited to attempt to raise the larvae and now I have to restart. All the fish still look horrible and won't eat and are breathing rapidly. I almost feel like giving up until she's gone. I have no way to protect the tanks until she's gone unless I sit there and guard them and that's if my family doesn't stsrt to feel bad for her at the last moment and she gets to stay(very unlikely). I feel like this is the end of reefing until I get my own place. Imagine if my reef tank was full of sps colony's? What if had some of the rarer fish that I usually have? I'm funding all these tanks myself this time around with no help from family so this is that much more devastating. All my hard work just ruined by someone dumping something in like its nothing. How could my own mother do this to her child? What can I do to save the remaining fish? Thank for for all who took the time to read this. I've lost everything I worked for thanks to her and for her to destroy my tanks and try to kill everything I just a new low and it really hits hard. I guess I'm just looking for some motivation at this point.

Sorry for all the typos, I'm on my phone since I no longer have a laptop and screen has been shattered since someone threw my phone into the wall. It's never ending misery.

I set up a at with freshly mixed saltwater but the remaining 3 fish are doing horrible and they've been on the bottom for over 24 hours. I almost feel like I should just euthanize them instead of a slow death. I guess the damage was already done from whatever was dumped in the tank. I don't know what to do, I'm at a loss for words.....

So sorry to hear about this. Mental illness is devastating. When you feel like your tanks are safe from harm hit me up. 1 Eibli on the house and I'll make it as cheap as possible for you on other replacements. It was nice meeting you and your grandparents last week. I hope you're Mom gets the help she needs.

Thank you for that it means a lot. The support us reefers get from each other isn't found many places anymore. I wish she would but I think it lies deeper the just the mental illness, she sabotages anything good that I have out of jealousy it seems. When I was doing bad and making bad decisions she acts nice and normal but when I really started trying to create a good life for myself and went to school and got a job, she got angry at my success and did everything possible to take it away from me. The family has disowned her because of what she did to my life and she gets angry that they don't believe her lies. She lies to the point that in her mind the lies she tells are actually the truth to her. But really thank you it means a lot.

I accidentally introduced alittle bleach into my tank years ago (regenerating Purigen.......) and the exact thing happened. Took us about 30 minutes to notice...ran carbon and did a big WC. We saved about half the livestock. Now I just buy a new Purigen.

I am a Psychiatric Registered Nurse. I deal with on a daily basis people who have very serious mental health issues. It sounds like your mother has been decompensating in her mental health status over a long period of time. Has she been attending her MD appointments? Is she taking her medicine on a regular basis?

These incidents seem to be focused around you. Have you noticed any homicidal or suicidal thoughts? If she is willing to destroy property maliciously, then she could be able to other things....

Have you involved the police with the loss of your property? The court system can make her have to see a MD and take her meds.

Talk to your lawyer and see if you have any recourse.

From my experience with the justice system it's a joke. When she made up the story to the police they wouldn't even listen to what I had to say. My family was there when they came and explained she was unstable and what had really happened and they slammed me on the ground and put me in cuffs. Even though I had evidence and witnesses to prove my innocence they treated me like a criminal and I've never been in trouble my entire life except for a underage drinking thing I got in highschool at a party. It doesn't seem like the police care about truth these days, it's more about conviction rates. I had to spend thousands on a lawyer to prove my innocence and it's wrong on so many levels. Our justice system is the biggest joke I've ever encountered. After what happened i avoid contact with the police at all costs for fear of being beaten or arrested on false pretences. They slammed me on the ground so hard I had a limp for weeks and I never resisted, and this was all in front of my grandparents trying to tell them she made it all up and they were with me the entire time I was supposedly "beating her up and breaking her windows".

I've called the police before when she had her episodes and they told me that I should respect my mother and If I wanted to press charges then they were going to arrest me too. Funny how that wasn't the case when this happened. I'm defenseless from anything she does. She can assault, steal, destroy anything she wants and pays no consequence and I think that's why she's getting worse.

Update: the lemonpeel angel and clowns are looking much better as of now. I'm really happy the clowns are looking okay because I got a good deal on a large breeding pair of grade A **name removed because of legal threat from trademark holder**s and if you like up prices on websites for spawning pairs like this they go for $4-500 and I couldn't replace them at this point.

Thanks again for the support everyone, the remaining fish seem to be doing much better. The clowns are eating again and the angel is at least swimming around again. I only had 3 frags thankfully and I only lost the frogspawn and a purple bonsai, I still have a zoa frag and it was fully opened this morning. I think I got through the worst of it and things will only improve, I put locks on the door leading to the basement so this can't happen again.

Back