Poo from live rocks!

The tank always has particles in the water and in the return section of the sump a slow build up of yellow-brownish matter which if I disturb clouds the water, I siphon this out before w/c's. 1 to 2 inch lengths of yellow-brownish stringy poo come from holes in the rocks and the flow from the returns breaks it up into dusty particles which find their way to the sump and circulate in the dt, some morning there will be a pile of this on the sand next to the rock. I know there are spaghetti worms in the live rock-tentacles all over the tank day and night. No fish yet. Has anyone else experienced this please? Carribean live rock (60 pounds) Thank you.

The string you see could be from tube worms letting mucus out to catch debris to eat...do you see it more when you stir up debrit?

The string you see could be from tube worms letting mucus out to catch debris to eat...do you see it more when you stir up debrit?

No, it happens often at any time-I have at least 2x1.5in mantis shrimp (1 white, 1 green) also recently a tunnel appeared under a large rock, the shrimp have been in the tank from set up 4months, only saw the green one for the first time last week! I don't think its the shrimps, could be anything in there (hitchikers) that I havn't seen yet! I do have feather dusters all over and small white tubes growing on the rocks, nothing big enough to create so much detrius/particle matter though.

Could be a worm of some sorts waste. I vote bristle worm. I've noticed the same kind of clumps near holes in my rocks as well

Back