poolkeepers LED build

poolkeeper1

OK so we will try and update this as much from the beginning as we can but a lot of the work has been done without photos being taken so her we go!

DSC00211-1.jpg

Bill do you have some good shots of your corals now so we can compare growth rates and colors before and after LEDs?

That looks really good! Keep us posted Bill on how it does with your corals. I've decided to mainly stick to LPS. Come to find out those Urchins I got from Pelgic awhile back eats SPS, at least mine did recently in which it shocked me. We like LPS and zoanthids better anyway. So if it works with your corals, I'm definitely in for it.

We?

We?

Bill do you have some good shots of your corals now so we can compare growth rates and colors before and after LEDs?

You got a mouse in your pocket, Just Kidding! No actually I can ask a friend with a better Camera than mine to take some shots though and see what it looks like in a couple of months from now. I can tell you this i have seen my corals and they are acting the same with the LED's as they did with the Halides, Absolutly no difference so far as far as i can tell and that's a good thing. The one side that is more finished than the other is brighter and has much more shimmer than my halides did, You can see that right away with out a doubt. and I love going from 500W down to less than 200W as we are not running these even at full power to extend bulb life beyond my expected lifetime, LOL
Bill:celeb2:

Power Bill

Power Bill

That looks really good! Keep us posted Bill on how it does with your corals. I've decided to mainly stick to LPS. Come to find out those Urchins I got from Pelgic awhile back eats SPS, at least mine did recently in which it shocked me. We like LPS and zoanthids better anyway. So if it works with your corals, I'm definitely in for it.

The Electric Co don't care what type coral you keep they still charge you the same, Plus no bulb change for around 75,000 hrs plus lower power bill+:celeb1::celeb1::celeb1:
I'll keep everyone posted as to how well the build goes Thanks to Brandon as without him there would be no build,
Thank In advance Again Buddy
Bill:)

Yeah Buddy

Yeah Buddy

looking good Bill!

Thanks Chris, Next time you want to get out of the Woods and do another road trip they should be done by then. Come on over and check them out yourself.
Bill
PS, With your Wife too of course, After all she was the one who started the hobby but when the men get in there is when things start happening!
(I just want to see how long it takes to start getting Hate Mail from all the Women on the Board) Counting Now!:hammer::hammer::hammer:

Last edited:
I like them!

I like them!

Wow, what a change Bill. Be following to see the outcome of them. You are braver than I :D

Not worried at all, I already see that my corals are opening up the same as before and the LPS really give you a sense for how the light is serving their needs as they open up fully under the LED's just like before.
After i'm done today I'll get some Par readings as soon as i get the Meter.
Bill
PS, Rick Call me please I need some Acrylic work done!
Thanks in advance...

Bill I will call you when I get a chance, I am working today :(

I know a few friends that have switched over to all LED also, so it should work out fine. Just curious as to what lenses you are using on them. I have seen 40 degree lenses were causing some bleaching. 60 - 80 degree seemed to be the ticket.

Yeah, you know why that is?.............It is hard to get things done when there is a begrudging spouse.....this hobby isn't the most cost efficient at times...........lol.

Thanks Chris, Next time you want to get out of the Woods and do another road trip they should be done by then. Come on over and check them out yourself.
Bill
PS, With your Wife too of course, After all she was the one who started the hobby but when the men get in there is when things start happening!
(I just want to see how long it takes to start getting Hate Mail from all the Women on the Board) Counting Now!:hammer::hammer::hammer:

No problem at all, Bill. :) I'm really enjoying doing this! I can't wait to get mine finished. Its gonna be great!

Wow, what a change Bill. Be following to see the outcome of them. You are braver than I :D

Don't worry, Rick... you're next! :D I've got a few things to show you once you catch your breath from all that snow boarding... ;)

We're using 60 and 80 degree optics on this one, I think. Right now we have the 60s on the blues and the 80s on the whites in an attempt to make it a little bit bluer. Since Bill has these about a foot off of the water, 40s might be an option, but I really think the 60s and 80s are going to be perfectly fine. We definitely needed SOME optics, and most people recommend you always use at least 80s to give the light some direction so to speak.

I'm getting ready now to head over to Bills and add at least another string of royal blues and maybe a few more whites as well. And then we've got the warm whites and regular blues that will hopefully be here today as well! Those are going to be really neat. I can't wait until they're 100% done! The dimming is going to be really neat as well.

Brandon

Awesome work Brandon, I can't wait to see this thing finished. I'm especially interested in the PAR readings. The thread that you linked me seemed like a great build, but the one pic he posted with the PAR numbers seemed really low?

I didn't think they were too bad, but they definitely weren't great. Do you know what you're getting now? They can DEFINITELY be made higher, though. ;)

I'll give you a call, Chuck.

Brandon

No problem at all, Bill. :) I'm really enjoying doing this! I can't wait to get mine finished. Its gonna be great!

Don't worry, Rick... you're next! :D I've got a few things to show you once you catch your breath from all that snow boarding... ;)

We're using 60 and 80 degree optics on this one, I think. Right now we have the 60s on the blues and the 80s on the whites in an attempt to make it a little bit bluer. Since Bill has these about a foot off of the water, 40s might be an option, but I really think the 60s and 80s are going to be perfectly fine. We definitely needed SOME optics, and most people recommend you always use at least 80s to give the light some direction so to speak.

I'm getting ready now to head over to Bills and add at least another string of royal blues and maybe a few more whites as well. And then we've got the warm whites and regular blues that will hopefully be here today as well! Those are going to be really neat. I can't wait until they're 100% done! The dimming is going to be really neat as well.

Brandon

Sweet, when you bringing them over. I'm ready if your buying :beachbum:

Those in 60 - 80 should be nice. The dimming part is what I really like.

I talked to Bill, I will give you a call sometime and go over the acrylic stuff.

Well made more progress today and the Fixture is back in one long 48"L x 16"W fixture now as I added two more rows of 15 LED's on each row and made the whole thing one piece again like it was originally. It looks much better now and even with only one row added today it is much brighter and we still have another row to add yet. Wound up having a bad driver and one bank is not even lit up and it still is very bright and we ain't done yet!
Bill
PS Photos Tomorrow, Too Tired.

Back