Possible Caribbean Rose?

griss

RC Mod
Staff member
RC Mod
Got this rock from KP in 2018. Never saw this, or any indication of it, today. I hope I’m not getting overly excited hoping it’s a Caribbean Rose. Would love some input.

Sorry, best pic I could get.

Attachments

• IMG_4883.jpeg
    IMG_4883.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
After further review, the call has been overturned. I don’t think it’s a Caribbean Rose😞. But, I don’t know what it is???

This KP rock is amazing, 5 years after I received it and new stuff still cropping up.

giphy.com-media-lae6I7zhlK6Er9BwUz-giphy.gif

Let grow and find out. Could be rose. Could be any number. I understand there’s still a small variety of LPS in the Carribean other than what we commonly think of

Agree Shane, I was just excited to see something new on 5 year old LR and I’ve always wanted. Caribbean Rose.

Could be a Carribean scoly

Could be a Carribean scoly

You might be on to something.

Still there, gotten a little bigger. Still can't tell what the heck it is. I'll post an updated picture later.

Here’s tonight’s pic. This coral is in a spot in the tank that is difficult to get a good pic. It looks similar to the second coral pic that also grew from the KP rock. But, the coral in question appears fleshier.

Attachments

• IMG_5611.jpeg
    IMG_5611.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5612.jpeg
    IMG_5612.jpeg
    701.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Here’s tonight’s pic. This coral is in a spot in the tank that is difficult to get a good pic. It looks similar to the second coral pic that also grew from the KP rock. But, the coral in question appears fleshier.

Looks now like common Caribbean star coral now. Maybe Oculina Robusta maybe. Comes in on Caribbean aquaculture rock pretty regularly. It is cool since it is the only way you can get it. Usually very brown though.

Look at second picture.

Just for the record, the first picture in this quoted post (and the first post of this thread) is the coral in question. The second picture in the quoted post, I agree, is likely Oculina Robusta.

I'm not sure the coral in question is Oculina Robusta. In @shred5 link above it states that Oculina Robusta, "They prefer low light, turbid flow and nutrient filled water." The coral in question is on the mid-upper section of the rock directly under a 175 watt MH. Who knows I'll just keep an eye on it and see where it goes.

Back