Possible New Cure for Ick?

Tis does in fact work. I have used this method before. It is a method developed by some french guy with a PhD.

ChrisGar said:
Tis does in fact work. I have used this method before. It is a method developed by some french guy with a PhD.

Just to be PC, should we call him a Freedom Guy with a PhD?

;)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I wasn't aware that anyone else had thought of this method before, let alone used it with success. I realize my little test fails to meet the rigors of the scientific method, but my main concern at this point is to see if it works or not. If it does, great! If not, oh well.

Day Four Update...

Another feeding with ginger last night. Afternoon check of the fish yields no white dots! :D I'm tempted to skip a few days to see if the ich comes back... NAH!!! I'm gonna keep it up for at least 2-3 weeks to see if the ich comes back while I'm still using the ginger supplement. I'll keep you all posted. Hang on for the ride! These daily updates are boring, I know, but if the end result is success... well, I think it will be worth it!

ReefEze said:
Wow, if that works you could call it the "cratylus method" and be instantly promoted to reef god. :thumbsup:

I dont think the real God would look to kindly on this reef God thing seeing that he is God over everything. you know, just the other day I talking to the real God and he said to me, "you know Paul, i'm God and i am the God over everything." You know sometimes that God can be a pompous jerk, but if you look at it he can be a pompous jerk, because well, hes God. He's also the funniest guy too, not as funny as his son jesus, but he is funny.

jesus, now theres a comedian, hes no margaret cho, but hes hilarious. when you go to a party, you should bring jesus along just for the attention. we were at this kegger and the cops came, jesus was no where to be found so they took the kegs. if jesus was there it would have been like, "oh jesus, these are your friends huh? well have fun and tell your dad we said hi." so jesus come back after the cops leave and turns water into wine. instant party my friends. and the girls. that jesus gets so many chicks and who can blame him. the guy is ripped. jesus has a 6 pack liek no other i tell you.

the only thing about jesus though is hes always performing these stupid miracles. just the other day we were going to the club and jesus stops to heal this leper. i was like "yo jesus, they're gonna close the VIP list man. hurry up." but nooooo, hes got help the weak. he would be a cool guy if he kept his priorties straight.

with the ginger though. i will be using it on my cow. i'll try anything to get him back up. that would be cool if this was a great cure and you did end up calling it the "cratylus method". i keep trying to get jesus to perform his miracles on my cow but hes always busy getting ready for something called "Rapture". he says its like Y2K so i will be getting water, batteries, flashlights, and some other stuff for my Rapture Kit ready.
berger034

Day Five Update:

Same as before, still no sign of ich, no adverse reactions by any inverts. This is almost too good to be true!

On a side note, I think Berger may have taken one too many Sunday school classes in the past and one too many hits from his bong tonight.

Are the fish actually eating the ginger root? I tried to put powdered ginger in the food last night and the fish spit it out... :rolleyes:

I mix the ginger in with a special homemade blend of fishfood that I make... oysters, shrimp, krill, algae, plankton, flakes, etc. I mix the grated ginger in with the food at a ratio of about Ã"šÃ‚¼ teaspoon of ginger per tablespoon of food. One everything is mixed (in the blender), I put the mixture in individual feeding squares and freeze it. When I want to feed, I just pop one square out and put it in my tank. Everything gets devoured! I think the raw oysters & shrimp "cover up" whatever pungency there is to the ginger. It might also help to buy a milder form of ginger root (such as Jamaican or Japanese). I also soaked mine first to clean it... that may have taken out some of the pungency too. At any rate, my fish are eating it and it seems to be working at this point. But I realize it's still early. Or, the ick may have gone away on its own and this ginger isn't really doing anything at all. I don't know. I'm just reporting what I see in my tank; I leave it to everyone here to draw their own conclusions. I do think that it is at least worth reporting.

tag - I'm in...

Interesting.... And as another side note - there's no such thing as too many bong hits...

I am really suprised at the level of interest in this thread.
This guy is on day 5 of an Ick outbreak.
They way the crypto cycle works it is NORMAL for no ick to be on the fish at day 5.
Also,
cryptocaryon infections often self resolve with no treatment.
The fact this guys outbreak appears over at day 5 is NOT NEWS and means absolutely nothing.

Now,
If he took 10 clownfish infected with cryptocaron, split them into two equal tanks, and fed one tank the ginger and the other tank the same food minus the ginger, then we MIGHT suspect there is something to this.

To show how meaningless this thread is...............

I got in a new firefish about 3 months ago. Within a week he had Ick in my 15 gallon work tank. About the same time I added some calcium and did a water change. The ick went away and never came back.
Should I claim that calcium and a water change cured his ick?
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!

His infection probably self resolved due to the fact that the other two fish in the tank are seahorses and are not likely to contract cryptocaryon, and firefish are pretty hardy fish and can shake off minor cryptocaryon outbreaks.

John

On the merits of whether ginger works or not, I've got no idea but I find the concept interesting, to say the least.

And for all of you guys playing "tag", did you know there is an option at the base of each thread that you can click to "subscribe to this thread."? Purely FYI, not trying to be rude.

Interesting post, but why can't people just read the posts, rather than "tag!" them. It is ridiculous.

Sorry now that that is out of the way, hearing that is very intersting. Is there anyway you could maybe quarantine a fish the next time and then test agian with ginger. Maybe then, the erradiacation could be directly contributed to the ginger. This is just an idea...

Back