Possible New Cure for Ick?

mountainbiker619 said:
cratylus,

Is the ginger making your skimmer to crazy?

berger034,

"is this true that the ich will go away and just come back harder then ever"

I have a feeling that who ever made that comment does not understand the life cycle of Ick. During the time it appears to have gone away is actually the second stage of the life cycle. During this stage is has removed it self from the host (fish) and it is multipling. Once it is done multipling, then it will find another host to attach to.

I dont understand the lifecycle of ich, thats why i asked the question.... duh! but you have answered my question. SD rules.

Day 24 Update:

Sorry for the length of time since my last posting. Been extremely busy with some other projects (like replacing the top on my convertible!). Anyway, I've continued the ginger usage as before. Still no ick on the Hog, the Damsel, or the Goby. There are still no apparent ill effects on the corals or other inverts.

By the way, I'm running skimmerless right now so I don't know what the ginger would do to a skimmer.

I am trying another little experiment. Tonight I got a Purple Tang from the owner of a LFS. It was covered in ich when I saw it in one of his tanks. He said he was getting ready to euthanize it because it was such bad condition (it is in BAD shape). I offered to take it off his hands (at no charge of course). I told him about a little experiment I wanted to run and that I would give him $20 for the fish if I was able to cure it. If the fish died from the ich, I would owe him nothing. I'm a regular customer who has built up a good relationship with him over the past few years so he agreed. I now have the tang in my 29 gallon quarantine tank. I gave him a dose of my ginger-laden food tonight. I'm hoping to get a better idea of whether or not the ginger has any real measureable effect on severe cases of ich. Wish me luck.

oh boy, this should be exciting. i'm an avid fan of "alternative" ich treatments and fortunately, they have worked wonders for me (garlic, ginger treatments).

i have had a yellow and sailfin tang show signs of ich. i treated immediately with a combination of floating crushed cloves of garlic and mixing ginger with my homemade fish food. 3 days and bye bye ich.

:D

Cratylus
Good Luck man I hope you save that Tang and shut all of those "Haters Up"

Personally I have never had ick but if i ever did i would be willing to try your method!

Also what is you complete live stock i noticed the Hog, the Damsel and the Goby, but do you have any more?

Anyone know the mortality rate for ick or how long it takes to cure on it's own?

If everyone with SARS would drink Pepsi it's very likely they'd recover. See my point?

Ok, first the avatar: it's actually a painting by Dorian Cleavenger.

Second: the Hog, the Damsel, and the Goby are the only current fish inhabitants in my 125 gallon. The Purple Tang is in its own tank (a 29 gallon quarantine). Still no sign of ich returning in the 125. Everyone seems normal.

And I have great news to report about the Tang. As difficult as this is to believe, I see an extremely noticeable improvement in just two feedings. When I got him last night, the tang's body was covered in white dots and he was clearly laboring to breathe. After one feeding last night and another this morning, I'd estimate that 60-65% of the white dots are gone and his breathing is markedly improved. :)

I'm very glad to see that macg has also had success with using ginger to combat ich. I'm hoping that others will give this method a chance before dismissing it out of hand. I'd recommend trying it in their quarantine tanks first.

As far as Pepsi being used to treat SARS, I suppose if DNA would like to self-experiment with that I'd support him 100% in his efforts. ;)

DNA said:
Anyone know the mortality rate for ick or how long it takes to cure on it's own?

If everyone with SARS would drink Pepsi it's very likely they'd recover. See my point?
Wow, DNA it is pretty cool seeing someone from Iceland, I am half Icelandic my mother moved here when she was 20 to go to school. I am 35 and have never once met someone with my nationality(in person or online)My grandfather was just here and brought Flatkokur,hardfiskur,and hangikjot. I wish I could answer your question,but I don't know to much about ick. Mike.

cratylus said:
Ok, first the avatar: it's actually a painting by Dorian Cleavenger.

Second: the Hog, the Damsel, and the Goby are the only current fish inhabitants in my 125 gallon. The Purple Tang is in its own tank (a 29 gallon quarantine). Still no sign of ich returning in the 125. Everyone seems normal.

And I have great news to report about the Tang. As difficult as this is to believe, I see an extremely noticeable improvement in just two feedings. When I got him last night, the tang's body was covered in white dots and he was clearly laboring to breathe. After one feeding last night and another this morning, I'd estimate that 60-65% of the white dots are gone and his breathing is markedly improved. :)

I truly find this fascinating, and really appreciate your further testing your idea. I'm sure it is in this thread, but would you be willing to repost exactly how you are using Ginger in your feedings?

Is this raw ginger root from the grocery store, grated finely into frozen food? I believe you'd said it was a 1/4 teaspoon worth, right?

Do the fish (the tang in this case) simply eat the frozen food and ginger bits as well? Does the ginger float or sink? I'd like to know the details so I can share them with others in the future, plus be able to implement it immediately if the need arises with my own tanks.

:thumbsup:

I have to owe you an apology Cratylus.......your first post just led me to believe that your fish really didnt have ick.....but with the tang Im convinced....I truly do find this fascinating about ginger being able to cure ick..........

The tang, you said it was breathing heavily....Did he readily eat the ginger food? Or did he just kinda pick at it? Most of the time when Ive had fish get to where they are having hard times breathing they just dont want to eat...........

Wow this thread is getting so much attention. hey cratylus, good work on the ginger cure. you are trying to be scientific about it. hey check this out. i have an angler which i am treating so i used regular ginger but i only submersed the food (ghost shrimp) in the ginger for about 20 minutes and then extracted the shrimp to feed. you think this might do the job or does he need to consume some of the ginger?
berger034

A few days ago my achillies tang came down with a heavy case of ich. Previously I floated a head of crush garlic to great effect but I decided to try the ginger.

I made a slurry of pe mysis, nori, scallop, clam, red macro, shrimp and ginger.

After four feedings over the last two days all signs of ich have disappeared.

Notice that there hasn't been any update to this....does that mean that ginger is out and its back to tried and true methods for treating ich? :rolleyes:

Back