Possible New Cure for Ick?

Looper121 wrote:
Interesting post, but why can't people just read the posts, rather than "tag!" them. It is ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous?

Did we break a board etiquette rule somewhere? :p

Mark

melev said:
And for all of you guys playing "tag", did you know there is an option at the base of each thread that you can click to "subscribe to this thread."? Purely FYI, not trying to be rude.

Thanks, just saw it.
Looper121 said:
Interesting post, but why can't people just read the posts, rather than "tag!" them. It is ridiculous.

You never lost track of a post? :rolleye1:

FireEater said:
Why is it ridiculous?

Did we break a board etiquette rule somewhere? :p

Mark

No, but this is how I see it (and perhaps others feel the same way?):

When I respond to a thread that has a topic I'm involved or interested in, RC marks it to notify me next time something is added to the thread.

Email notification is sent out, and I'll follow the link to the next response(s) posted. It's rather annoying to come back just to find a message that says "Just tagging along!" or similar.

This can be especially frustrating if you are currently waiting for an important answer to a problem your tank is having. You get the email notification, and excitedly return to RC to find the answer you were seeking, but alas.... :rolleyes:

By using the "Subscribe to Thread" option, you still get notification.

<i>The above is purely an explanation of the process and not a judgemental comment on my part of others.</i>

There were a number of people that "tagged" this thread, which seemed unusual ratio-wise, so I figured perhaps some were not even aware of the alternative available.

As much as I use the "Subscribe to Thread" option you think I would have used it here. :(

I guess I just followed the leader so to speak. :p

No harm no foul and I do understand what you mean melev. :)

Mark

i would like to hear about the ginger not tagging and board rules i keep getting e-mail say their is new post but it is just people complaining

Gotta address a few of the things john f mentioned...

First of all, not to pick at nits, but I'm on day 10 of the outbreak and day 6 of the ginger treatment. That may mean little in the overall grand scheme of things. However, I like accuracy. :)

Unlike john f, I'm not surprised at the interest my thread is drawing. I think people naturally take interest in new ideas within whatever hobby they pursue, reefkeeping being no exception. Since the ginger idea is new, that explains the level of curiosity. People are curious for the same reasons they would be curious if someone thought they found a way to keep dendronephthya alive and thriving for a long period of time. Or if somebody reported a new method for killing aiptasia. Or if a new type of lighting became available. People are naturally curious and even moreso if it's because of a possible new/better way of doing things.

That's not to say my ginger method is better. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I realize full well that my little "experiment" doesn't even come close to satisfying the rigors of the scientific method. It's simply me reporting what I'm finding. And I also admitted in my last post that "the ick may have gone away on its own and this ginger isn't really doing anything at all. I don't know. I'm just reporting what I see in my tank; I leave it to everyone here to draw their own conclusions."

If somebody wanted to do the experiment with the clownfishes that johnf suggested, I think that would be great. At least I have the discussion going... and that's how this hobby progresses and improves for all of us. It's how breakthroughs happen. You try new things... you employ different methods... you share and discuss with fellow reefers. All I did is take what I knew about the medicinal qualities of ginger and try to apply them to my sick fish. Did it work? Who knows. Again, at least I have the discussion going.

Last edited:
Pure science vs. Applied science.
This side debate reminds me of SWF.com.
I responded awhile back about something on the side of my angel. It's gone now. Hopefully for good.:mixed:

keep , keeping us posted this is very interesting.

If it is a case of the ick cycle where it falls off the host fish, we should see infection again, but at more serious level...

thanking you.

ch0p said:
keep , keeping us posted this is very interesting.

If it is a case of the ick cycle where it falls off the host fish, we should see infection again, but at more serious level...

thanking you.

you sure about that? I had a case of it that I fought off with garlic and raised temp that by most opinions, fell off... It's been 4 months with no reoccurance. Is it a given that it'll come back? I was under the impression that unless you had some serious stress in the tank, the fish weren't likely to catch it again.

Day Nine Update:

It's been a few days since I reported. I've continued the same regimen with the ginger supplement. Still no sign of the ich returning. No sign of problems with any of my fish or inverts.

Either the ginger is working wonders or the ich went away on its own (or it's in the middle of its reproductive cycle and waiting to return with a vengeance).

Anyone want to try the clownfish experiment proffered by john f?

Re: Possible New Cure for Ick?

cratylus said:
I tried something a bit unorthodox. I added Ã"šÃ‚¼ tsp. of ginger to my normal homemade fish food concoction (don't ask why, you'll think I'm crazy).
I'm suprised nobody asked this already. What made you decide to try this?

What, no update since the 6th? I hope this is still working for you. I'm wondering if I might be able to make this work for my foxface. It won't eat anything meaty, but maybe I could soak the nori in puree of ginger or something...you think?

Day 12 Update:

I've continued with the ginger supplement and there is absolutely no sign of ich on anyone. I'm 99% convinced at this point that it is gone! No ill effects on my corals or my other inverts. Various water tests (pH, SG, Temp, Ca, ) read normal (for my tank).

Was it the ginger? I don't know. Will it work for your Foxface? Again, I don't know. It appears to have worked for me. It might be worth a try.

hey i was reading the post about this subject. i was wondering about someone posting that ich comes back with a vengence. is this true that the ich will go away and just come back harder then ever. i think this is what killed my cow but my lion and my angler are not affected.
whats up

Interesting thread. There could be something to this? or maybe it's like the garlic treatment...seems to work for some and doesn't help others one iota.
I'm experimenting with adding Vit C to one of my tanks right now. My tang shows up with a few dots every once in awhile.
I may be switching to ginger:) Wonder if powdered ginger in the can would be the same??

you should continue for 30 days.... if u can prevent spores from potting on the fish. then u might actual beat it without having to remove every fish in the tank....

keep us posted

cratylus,

Is the ginger making your skimmer to crazy?

berger034,

"is this true that the ich will go away and just come back harder then ever"

I have a feeling that who ever made that comment does not understand the life cycle of Ick. During the time it appears to have gone away is actually the second stage of the life cycle. During this stage is has removed it self from the host (fish) and it is multipling. Once it is done multipling, then it will find another host to attach to.

Back