Possible use of RO/DI waste water

Dan F

Does anyone know if the waste water from a RO/DI would be harmful in makeup to grass? I'm thinking of collecting in a cistern and spreading on the lawn during the hot months. Thanks for any feedback.

Not harmful at all. Just the same as you taking your garden hose and watering your grass. I always am thinking of ways to use that water but I live in a town home so no yard for me.

I have the waste water line collect in buckets or a large bin that I collect water to water my plants in the patio.

Doesnt the waste water have chlorine in it, make it bad for the fish,beneficial bacterias, etc?

Or it a pond thats large enough, the chlorine is negligible?

Since the waste has gone thru the carbon I would expect it to be low on chlorine. The pond has the offspring of feeder goldfish I put in 6 years ago and one really big frog. They are tuff! I don't feed them, run a filter or do water changes. It has become a self-sustaining system.

I used to have my RO unit outside when I lived in FL. Would direct my waste stream either into the pool or into a watering can to use on the flowers. Perfectly good water, just not perfectly free of ions. Actually the water out of your hose has more contaminants in it then the waste stream.

I've heard if your using a booster pump you can tie it back into the plumbing some where else in the system. Like at the water heater or somewhere. The waste water is probably almost if not more clean than the feed water since it has ran through a sediment and carbon filter. I run my down the drain in the winter and collect it for the garden in the summer.

I run a 125 gal african cichlid tank and a small reef tank. I have a RO/DI filter as well and am curious if the waste water would be bad for the fresh water tank. I figure it has to be cleaner than the tap water I use now. So far I stick to the book and haven't tried this yet, what is your input?

Last edited:
Do you add anything to the tap for the cichlids? The water from the RO/DI is higher in TDS than the tap, but other than that it's cleaner than the tap water.

You could always test it for pH,GH and KH. Best way to know what you actually have.

Back