Possibly found the root cause of all my sps stn

So here's one of my sps that was crashing and going downhill ever since adding it to the tank, but it looks like it's recovering! Hopefully it will continue to show p.e and start to color up.

That sucks, I remember a bout of these on the original ones years ago..

I could be wrong but Are you sure that's not an mp10 wetside? My mp40's look nothing like it's a plastic nut holding it onto the shaft and a screw to the magnet.. .. My mp10's do though..

The mp40QD must have gotten a redesigned wetside that I don't know about cause it looks just like the older mp10's Wes ( that I've had no issues with in the 7 years on some original wetsides).. Looks like they should have stuck with the old design/manufacturer if that's what we can expect now on the 40's..

Hope the tank gets back on track quickly and good luck..

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]My symptoms would include

excellent p.e for the first week, Encrust, then slowly no p.e, sps starts to fade and then rtn/stn from base or tips, in a matter of 2-3 weeks.

Please leave your input and I would recommend EVERYONE check their wetsides.

as well sorry for the bad grammer, P.OED about this hobby and all the money i spent on good equipment to have it fail so early and kill everything.

and YES, Its properly maintained and cleaned.[/QUOTE]

So glad I found this thread! My SPS corals have experienced the same symptoms. Been racking my brain trying to figure out why they were dying when parameters were perfect. Some of my Acropora displayed almost constant sliming like something was bothering them. I was ready to make some drastic changes to my system and a friend advised me to check my MP 10s wetside. Sure enough the plastic casing was cracked in a few places and rust colored as well as the shaft had a crack and some rusting.

Added some Polyfill and will be doing some big water changes. Hopefully, things start turning around!

So glad I found this thread! My SPS corals have experienced the same symptoms. Been racking my brain trying to figure out why they were dying when parameters were perfect. Some of my Acropora displayed almost constant sliming like something was bothering them. I was ready to make some drastic changes to my system and a friend advised me to check my MP 10s wetside. Sure enough the plastic casing was cracked in a few places and rust colored as well as the shaft had a crack and some rusting.

Added some Polyfill and will be doing some big water changes. Hopefully, things start turning around!

Great to hear you caught it in time! Can you post photos?

Someone with a faulty wetside needs to put one in a bucket of water and send that sample to Triton. Only then could you prove the Vortechs introduced the issues.

I'm going to do that as soon as I have a spare $50...

Last edited:
Great to hear you caught it in time! Can you post photos?

78a0981419c489ccedfcecec79df9a03.jpg
8dfa048e8202e2490ec73c391910ab96.jpg

I can try and get some better ones later. These I took right after I found it. The plastic casing is obviously cracked in a few places and on the shaft of impeller. To early to tell but hopefully things start perking up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting to have some of the same issues with my sps. Tip recession and lack of pe. I took my 1 1/2yr old mp40 apart and everything looks ok. Didn't see any cracks or rust. I guess I should pull out my vectra pump and check that just to make sure it is ok. I'm also going to put a poly filter in to pull out anything that might be causing this. The lab test last month showed high Molybdenum. I know it is some kind of metal but what equipment has this type?

Starting to have some of the same issues with my sps. Tip recession and lack of pe. I took my 1 1/2yr old mp40 apart and everything looks ok. Didn't see any cracks or rust. I guess I should pull out my vectra pump and check that just to make sure it is ok. I'm also going to put a poly filter in to pull out anything that might be causing this. The lab test last month showed high Molybdenum. I know it is some kind of metal but what equipment has this type?

You will have to inspect the magnet very very carefully you may not see rust coming out yet, it can even be a hairline crack as well.

Are all of these the new qd?

Mine were the new QD models

I will honestly say this is a real disappointment for ecotech. This thing is barely used, and it also has grease around the base area? I hope it was reef safe. Will be contacting ecotech tomorrow.

This thing has 3 weeks of use, mounted properly with the correct spacer,

What the heck is going on? I didn't drop it or anything. But what I didn't check is when it arrived.

I don't think I'll be using ecotech anymore. Their support is excellent but if they can't use good material for their product, I can't see myself using it.

Last edited:
I have been experiencing the same sps tissue loss issues....Guess I'll be checking the QDs when I get home! Thanks for the heads up guys!

I asked Ecotech about the grease a while ago. They said it is a medical grade silicone grease, so it should be reef safe. I usually find some grease on o-ring seals for internal pumps as well, although I've never asked about it.

I’ve tried them all. A tunze stream on a sea sweep is by leaps and bounds better than any other Powerhead I’ve owned.

I still use MP40’s for a specific purpose. But I perform frequent maintenance on these pumps, like once every other month. This is opposed to my tunze pumps that I almost never touch. The wet sides are perishable and should be treated as such. Replace every two to three years at a minimum to be safe, and toss at the first sign of cracks in the magnet coating.

It’s funny, I had an MP40 in a frag tank that was hard to get to, so I slacked on the maintenance. I left it in place due to its battery backup. I heard a clicking noise earlier this week. Wouldn’t you know it, another wet side opened up on me. SMH.

Yeah, I had one bust and rust on me too. Sent it in and now I have one screaming at me when I turn it on. It’s headed in this week.
But I have had them for awhile so I will say I work them hard!

Corey

I would also like to know what you cleaned with? This seems very unusual never had that experience Ecotech lasted for years.

Back