Post Mortem

Snookster

Apparently my tank (75g) didn't think Christmas added enough stress to my life, so it decided to crash midway through Christmas eve. My Miami Orchid stylo started shedding flesh and polyps like crazy, all the zoas were closed up, feather dusters were popping off their feathers as well. Fish appeared to be okay.

I had 20 gallons of water made up, did a water change, then went to FAOIS to get 20 more (HUGE thanks to John and Jennifer for letting me get water AFTER they closed - on Christmas eve), added carbon and turned off lights per John's suggestion. Did another 20 gallon water change about 3 hours later.

I did quick tests on alk, calc, ph and ammonia. Alk was 9.8 (little higher than I normally run), ph 8, calc 430, ammonia didn't register (was old kit tho). I didn't add anything during the day, previous night was normal doses of 2 part & vodka. I'm running kalk in top off, but with ph @ 8, I highly doubt that is the source of the problem. Tank temp was 80. I was more interested in action than chemistry evaluation.

This morning, the orchid appears to be toast, my purple stylo lost some polyps (might be salvageable), the green seriatopora is also toast. One of the encrusting montis appear to have taken a hit as well. At least the acros look okay so far. I turned my blue LEDs on very dimly and the zoas are all open. Looks like the event may be over. And whatever caused this, didn't bother the duncan or the palythoas at all, they all stayed open. I prob do another water change tomorrow just to make sure and I'll keep running the carbon and work the lights back on slowly.

Jennifer @ FAOIS suggested a power leak from a device, I have had all that unplugged since the event started and will test in a bucket later today when I get ambitious enough.

Anyone have any other ideas as to what to look for?

Oh man. This is horrible. And the timing is the worst. I hope things bounce back quick.

On to my recommendation. I had a similar issue recently and I'll share a few things that took place on my side that may help you pinpoint your issue.

I had a bad batch of salt and salinity was much lower than recommended. I also had a bad return pump, which caused the display tank top get hotter than it should have been. The issue did not register because the heater and temp probe are in the sump.
I also had an issue with vodka dosing while running a biopellet reactor. The water for milky and the filter socks were flooding.

Did you have a party this week?

Thinking high co2 levels in the house? I have had that happen to me before. Dropping ph to very low levels.

Sorry to hear that if u lost anything I have gotten from u... I am happy to give u a frag back no charge.

Roger

Thinking high co2 levels in the house? I have had that happen to me before. Dropping ph to very low levels.

Sorry to hear that if u lost anything I have gotten from u... I am happy to give u a frag back no charge.

Roger

Thanks Roger, I appreciate that. I'll let you know once the dust settles.

We've had large parties before and never noticed any issues, but maybe 2 nights in a row AND the AC still running might just explain the PH of 8. Usually hovers around 8.3-8.4.

Yeah Roger it is possible but if it only went down to 8 I wouldn't think that wouldn't do it.
Do you have a logging monitor like an apex? If not it could have went much lower during the party. Generally you will notice at least a little cloudy water the next day after really low ph.
Also with parties you clean and use harmful things like febreeze or whatever. All posibilities.

Do you have a volt meter? If you have a decent meter put one probe to the wall ground and one in the water to check for stray voltage. Many times when you do fish jump but not always.

Update: Yellow tang has developed something on it's head. An area has whitened, doesn't look like a lesion, but kinda of like the scales got bleached or something. the shrimp and other fish appear to still be okay.

I don't have a logging meter or a controller, also didn't notice any cloudy water. Wife claims to not have used any aerosols or sprays cleaning.

I've added some kalk and an aerator and opened the house up for while until I couldn't stand the humidity any more, I'll recheck the PH in the morning.

As for the voltmeter Rob, what setting do I use to check it with (mine has everything on it)?

Try ac and dc voltage. Lowest number setting on the meter if selectible.

Not everyone needs aquarium controllers but to me they are worth their weight in gold.
I can't be 100% positive but I would put a decent amount of money on low ph. Especially 2 days in a row. 6 people in our 2000 sq.ft townhouse will drop my tank to about 7.7 in about 5-6 hours. More people will drop it faster.

Not sure high co2 can cause spots on fish or how it can stress them or low ph. If it can at all.

Good luck and always remember to crack a window when company comes over. Good habit even if it is not the cause here.

Yeah Roger it is possible but if it only went down to 8 I wouldn't think that wouldn't do it.
Do you have a logging monitor like an apex? If not it could have went much lower during the party. Generally you will notice at least a little cloudy water the next day after really low ph.
Also with parties you clean and use harmful things like febreeze or whatever. All posibilities.

I agree 8 is not going to cause any harm.

Try ac and dc voltage. Lowest number setting on the meter if selectible.

Not everyone needs aquarium controllers but to me they are worth their weight in gold.
I can't be 100% positive but I would put a decent amount of money on low ph. Especially 2 days in a row. 6 people in our 2000 sq.ft townhouse will drop my tank to about 7.7 in about 5-6 hours. More people will drop it faster.

Not sure high co2 can cause spots on fish or how it can stress them or low ph. If it can at all.

Good luck and always remember to crack a window when company comes over. Good habit even if it is not the cause here.

Am interested to c the readings.

After more detailed analysis, I'm 99% convinced it was PH. Even though my test said 8 - the error on the salifert kit is .3, and who knows how accurate that is. I'll be starting to look into a probe/controller addition.

In hindsight, I've noticed the external polyp SPS tend to be more sensitive to PH swings. In the past, I've noticed times when both the stylos were looking "withdrawn" and I've also noticed the milli extension is really tiny. I bet if I could go back and test the PH when that was happening, I would wager heavily on a PH drop.

I've been doing small water changes, upped the kalk in the top-off and added another hour of light. Of course it'd be nice if the weather was nicer to open the house up more often, but I'm trying to get 15-30 minutes here and there. Going to look at running an external supply line to the skimmer and adding chaeto with opposite hour lighting.

Last April we had planned to have a graduation party for my daughter. I was a bit panicky because we rarely have people over and I had heard of this type of scenario. I plumbed a quick air pipe up to the attic. The ph raised about .3 (nice bonus) but the story was the tank seemed unimpressed with the large crowd. We also had about 30 people over for Christmas eve. The tank sailed thru the event again.
Sorry to hear about your issue Snookster, maybe consider bringing in fresh air to the skimmer? At least you'll know the PH didn't drop due to visitors.

good luck sir.

Anyone want some purple stylo frags? Got some surviving tips.

IMG_20151226_131551774_HDR.jpg

Dude if you need Miami Ochard let me know, mine is starting to take off and I could get some big frags.

Back