Potassium questions

juststartingout

Hi Randy, I had done a search on the subject but really did not see any late news so...

I had my water tested by AWT and it came back good except low Mg and K. The Mg was easy enough to correct, however I am trying to figure out how to correct potassium, or if it really needs correcting at all. I don't see any test kits for potassium, the ones that have been brought up in the threads I have read are inaccurate or hard to read.

If dosing K is recommended, then with what? I don't use Zeovit, it seems that for a 600 gallon system that would be quite pricey.

Also, my molybdenum came back as high, now I was dosing small amounts of Kents Strontium/Molybdenum. The Strontium reading was good, but moly was high, so I stopped dosing the product, as the testing stated that high moly can lead to cyano, which I have a little.

Any recommendations regarding potassium and moly would be greatly aprreciated. As always, thank you for your dedication and time to the reefing community!!

I'd stop the strontium and molybdenum, but it is normal for molybdenum to be elevated. I'm not sure why, but I wouldn't worry about it. It may come with foods and not be depleted as fast as it is added. I can't imagine why molybdenum would cause cyano problems, and think it unlikely, but I suppose it may. Most tanks in Ron's study were elevated:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/rs/feature/index.php

Potassium is one of those things that I am interested in learning more about (depletion rates, etc). But I am skeptical of current testing methods, including AWT's. In their salt mix study, every mix was low, with most in the 200's. That seems unlikely to me and doesn't match previous studies. So I personally would not yet react to the potassium values.

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your fast response. I have been reading more threads on K. I will sit tight on the subject until you have more time in your schedule to research and write an article, and for testing companies to create a reliable test. Enjoy your Sunday!!

And, thanks again!!:cool:

Randy I found a liquid potassium at Henrys market made for human consuption. It's labeled as all natural 100%. Any reasons why I cant dose this?. It's just potassium and water.

^^ can you post exactly what it says on the bottle?

potassium reacts violently with water, makes (i think) KOH (potassium hydroxide) and H2(hydrogen gas)... this is just my opinion, but i dont think too many companies would risk mas producing hydrogen for something like that...

randy, please post your thoughts!

Mike, that is elemental Potassium that reacts that way, same for Sodium or Lithium. K is about the worse of the three. Liquid Potassium is often as Potassium Chloride, or sold as a salt but are regulated in some states, as the is what they often use on "death row ". And Phosphorus reacts vilolently with air.

It's this stuff
http://www.eidon.com/minerals_more.htm#potassium
on the bottle for ingredients it says: ALL NATURAL: No sugars, starch, artifical flavors, colors, preservatives or animal products, 100% vegan. So I was sold I went down to the health food store to find the "now" potassium chloride powder but I could'nt find it and the only other thing they had was the pills so I thought I would try the liquid.

It is probably just dissolves potassium chloride, but my concern would be if it were formulated with phosphate or something else for some reason that we might not want.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12215822#post12215822 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bogg
It's this stuff
http://www.eidon.com/minerals_more.htm#potassium
on the bottle for ingredients it says: ALL NATURAL: No sugars, starch, artifical flavors, colors, preservatives or animal products, 100% vegan. So I was sold I went down to the health food store to find the "now" potassium chloride powder but I could'nt find it and the only other thing they had was the pills so I thought I would try the liquid.

WOW! $19.99! For what is likely a bottle of dissolved No-Salt! And probably very dilute at that.

FYI: "All Natural" is not a term defined by the FDA (or anyone else in the regulatory industry) IIRC. So you can put it on any old bottle of anything.

Kevin

Back