Potters Angel

Years ago I had one for two months that died out of the blue on me, was eating fine the night before.

I recently got one 9 days ago -- obviously not long enough to say how it is going to be long term. Though, I can say that the one I have now is a pig. Was eating right away (( right away is on a Monday after coming on a Saturday -- was in the hospital, so my Dad had to go to my place and acclimate it )).

So far he has eaten, spectrum pellets, Rod's Food, Prime Reef, and LifeLine's Herbivore mix. I also seem him picking at the rocks. Very inquisitive fish, anytime I come to the tank he is right there at the glass looking at me. So far he hasn't picked on any of my SPS nor zoas.

Here are some pictures for the other day. They are a little blurry.

potter3.jpg

potter2.jpg

potter1.jpg

I never got mine to start eating, died after about 2 weeks. I guess the other tankmates were to aggressive. I still feel bad about it. Very cool fish and hard to find around here.

Not an impossible fish - quite easy to keep once it starts eating. Toughest part is convincing it to try aquarium fare. Two ways have worked for me:
1) Put into quarantine - without rockwork covered in extensive growth the Potter's will either try aquarium fare (IME their willpower to not try different food source breaks at about the two week point) This method is hit or miss seems to work about 60-70% of the time the rest are too stubborn and don't adjust.
2) Put into tank that is WELL established with LOTS of rockwork teeming with microfauna and microalgae after only a abbreviated quarantine (2 weeks). This technique takes a lot longer as the fish will have lots of rockwork to browse on, and he will have less incentive to try aquarium fare. Eventually as the amount of stuff to browse on diminishes, or maybe just out of curiosity, the Potter's will sample other foodstuffs. This can take several months, but has a higher success rate than #1.
Of course you will have a MUCH better chance if you actually see your Potter's eating at the LFS.

Prettiest dwarf angel IMO. Thinking real hard about getting one but I'm afraid he'll nip like the former dwarfs I had....Bi-Color and Flame.

If you get one, get it from either Sedar at Phishy Buisness or Live Aquaria, as they ensure that there specimens are actually eating. I bought one from a different online vendor and unfortunatley it was stubborn and refused any type of food. It lasted two weeks and passed, even though it was picking at my live rock. Have not tried since.....

I got one that was eating at the LFS.

Unfortunately, since he's been in my tank, he's refused to eat anything I feed him.

He does a lot of grazing, and I see him pooping so hopefully he's getting enough.

Mine has a taste for brain corals (nipped down to skeleton before I realized it) and one of my gorgonians but has left my frogspawn, hammers, and soft corals alone.

Should note that I got mine from the Diver's Den section of LA. The darn thing seems to beg for food anything I go by the tank.

Great addition!

Great addition!

Awesome fish, took about 2 weeks to start eating and the first thing it ate was flake. I feed flake, mysis, enriched brine and daphnia. The fish has been in the tank for a year and I haven't seen it pick at any corals, yet.

251055539RL541393368.jpg

246770065RL745042178.jpg

I am ordering mine tonight...putiing it in at the same time with a flame, fischers and multicolor. Already have a flameback and coral beauty. Beautiful pictures everyone.

had one for 2and one half years , then died all of a sudden , but did well till then and shared a 75 gallon reef fish only type tank with a golden angel thats stll there today, think the refugium benefits these fish alot

My LFs has about 9 of them as of right now, Nice small ones only an inch. I'm thinking of picking one up myself. Not to mention I have a nice selection to choose from.

Got mine from an LFS and it was eating in the store. When I got it home, I put it right in the dt because of enough reports that they didn't do well in quarantine due to lack of rocks to pick at. It was reluctant to eat in my tank, so I basically flooded the tank with food every time I fed, so that food was floating right by his face multiple times a day. He started slowly picking at things that came right by his face, and slowly starting coming out and getting more and more into eating what I was offering. Now, he is first in line at the top of the tank when I start dropping in pellets or whatever I decide to feed at that moment.

Ive had one for 3 years this month. Recently it started swimming funny almost like it is semi paralyzed. when I ran a LFS, I had 2 customers who had the same thing happen to theirs. Acts like nothing is wrong, still swimming all over the tank and eats like a pig. Has anyone else who has one seen this? Ive been meaning to take a video of it but just havent had the time.

i've tried two without much luck (they would not eat for two weeks), then i got lucky on the third. it lived for almost two years and was my favorite fish in the tank, but then last week it disappeared all of a sudden (there were no obvious signs of declining health). so it's been a down-week :sad1:

Back