Power Outs - Battery Backup?

Zik

Hey guys, would love to hear you guys deal with short (3 hours) and long (12+ hour) outages.
Today had a little scare, power was supposed to cut for 3 hours during the day. Thankfully I had a small car inverted, and ran an extension, and found I was able to power 2x powerheads in my DT, and 1power head + 1x 50w heater in my QT
I tried to also add the 200w heater in my DT, but my current inverter couldn't handle

Thankfully, the outtage didn't happen, but obviously left me paranoid and now looking into a backup solution, especially for moments when I won't be home.

I know there are many options available, but I wanted to know your guys thoughts on just using a standard battery back-up to get the powerheads circulating flow. Something like this should last quite a bit of time powering only 2x tiny heads
https://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS...00&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=battery+backup&psc=1

I found that if trying to add the 200w heater as well, that this thing would drain in minutes users are saying. I only have a 55gal, but don't know how stable the temp would remain without heating.

What do you guys do for outages?

I figured for temp, I can either throw some ice in a bag & float it in the tank if too hot, or maybe heat some rodi on the stove (obviously not boil), and slowly introduce? Bad ideas? lol

Thanks!

When. We had our solar panels installed I went a couple of 8 to 10 hour stints with no power. I didn't loose anything. They weren't happy with the temp Flux but they were fine. I have a back up generator that back feeds my panel through an interlock kit. It's simple safe and cheap. I have 8000 watts to keep the house and tank going in an extended outrage. I think 8 hours is about the max I would go with out getting power to the tank.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

When. We had our solar panels installed I went a couple of 8 to 10 hour stints with no power. I didn't loose anything. They weren't happy with the temp Flux but they were fine. I have a back up generator that back feeds my panel through an interlock kit. It's simple safe and cheap. I have 8000 watts to keep the house and tank going in an extended outrage. I think 8 hours is about the max I would go with out getting power to the tank.

Awesome to hear your set up! During that 8-10 hour ,there was no flow in the tank either? What was the tank size?

Was hoping to keep the cost a bit cheaper than a gen. =)

I had a scheduled power outage last month. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a small generator for 100.00. takes a gallon of gas and lasts 5 hours.

The tank is a 60 gallon cube. There was no heat or circ. The generator wasn't expensive. I picked up a used one of cl. The interlock kit is about 60 bucks. You can easily do it for 300 if you shop around and do the work yourself. It's nice to have for heat for the house too..

I had a scheduled power outage last month. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a small generator for 100.00. takes a gallon of gas and lasts 5 hours.

That's def not bad, but I'm certain more than not that I'll either have a sch. maint or a power out while no ones home.

The tank is a 60 gallon cube. There was no heat or circ. The generator wasn't expensive. I picked up a used one of cl. The interlock kit is about 60 bucks. You can easily do it for 300 if you shop around and do the work yourself. It's nice to have for heat for the house too..

That's not too bad!

Back