Premixing Saltwater

dustins

I would like to premix a large batch of Saltwater that i could dip into for water changes. I plan on using an unused Rubbermaid bin with a Powerhead for movement/mixing. If I did this, would the water still be good when I want to use it? Can it go stale or anything? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dustin

I use a Large 32 gallon Waste Bucket for my pre-mixing! I put a MJ-1200 and keep it running 24/7! Works Great!

Raw artificial salt water is good as long as you want, but tank water and natural seawater cannot be stored unstirred as organics will decompose.

If you plan to use a lot at once (a lot in proportion tot he tank you are adding it to), aerate it before use, but if you just use a little, it is fine as is. Just give it a sniff to make sure it hasn't produced hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell) somehow. :)

I store it for weeks routinely in closed trash cans.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7574031#post7574031 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
natural seawater cannot be stored unstirred as organics will decompose.
How much stirring is required and for how long then natural seawater could be stored?

IMO, natural seawater needs to be kep aerated. That doesn't involve too much stirring, but enough to keep it from stagnating. I would never stop aerating it.

I use a 32 gallon Rubbermaid myself with a Rio pump and I've held the water for several weeks with thermometer and pump running constantly. Never had any problems at all as long as the pump is always running.

Err that should be heater not thermometer. I do check the water before it's used though with a thermometer though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579170#post7579170 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
IMO, natural seawater needs to be kep aerated. That doesn't involve too much stirring, but enough to keep it from stagnating. I would never stop aerating it.
Thank you, Randy. Can you see any major cons besides possible contamination which would keep one away from using natural seawater in the tank? Also could you recommend any articles discussing using NSW in saltwater tanks?

Back