Preparing rock

Vorog

So I am going to be upgrading my reef to a larger tank. I have a 30 gallon now with about 30-35 lbs of rock established for about 2 years. I have been collecting rock from fellow reefers. I have about 50 lbs, and will be picking up about another 40-50. I only plan on using about 80 lbs for my new 75 gallon reef. So the rock I have and will be getting is either dead, or has GHA or something I don't want going into my tank. I have never killed rock and cured it before. Should I just do a vinegar and water bath and rinse off then let it soak in saltwater for a week with a powerhead and heater? I just don't want to start a cycle when swapping tanks

I have 50lbs of dry rock. Still in the box from when i bought it. As far as cleaning it i used muratic acid last time i cleaned dry rock. But everyone has their own way of doing things. If your still looking for dry rock let me know. I can send you pics of what i have

I have 50lbs of dry rock. Still in the box from when i bought it. As far as cleaning it i used muratic acid last time i cleaned dry rock. But everyone has their own way of doing things. If your still looking for dry rock let me know. I can send you pics of what i have

Thanks I will let you know if I still need any when I get things going. However I'm trying to figure out the best way to not cycle the new tank. And how to get the new rock ready for the upgrade

Only way to avoid a cycle, or extremely cut down on how long the cycle will be is by only using very very good cured live rock, and cured live sand (not the crappy "live" sand in a bag)

Okay so I have a spot that I can move my nano tank to another room, while the new 75 is cycling for a few weeks. That takes a lot off my plate so I'm not rushed to put fish and corals in. I have a bunch of rock that was given to me. And I was talking with a few people how to clean it and prep it to place into the tank. I will do a bleach bath for a few hours. Then RO with prime soak. Then I might go get a a bottle of muriatic acid and put the rock in that for a few hours. Then RO rinse again for a few days. After that the tank should be close to setting up. Since no live stock will be in the tank for a while I will let it cycle with maybe a shrimp in there and one rock from my tank to seed it. What do you guys think of that? The rock is pest free, and almost dry rock now. Should I bleach soak then RO then cycle? Or what?

Back