Product returns and exchanges.

75reef

I have recently began purchasing equipment for a 30g I am setting up and as always placed my orders with the excellent staff at MD. On 2 occasions in the last 30 days, I ordered some pieces of equipment, had them shipped and then made changes to my setup which required something different. On both occasions, I paid out of my pocket for the return shipping and a small restocking fee. One of the things I returned was a chiller, why you ask? It's not important why but I got a different brand (again ordered from MD) that better suited my needs. The return shipping and restock fee for the chiller alone was $55. Am I mad? No way. I wouldn't ask them to flip the bill for a choice that I made. Thats how e-commerce works. I just wanted to share this little tidbit of information with my fellow reefers on RC. And to all of the staff at MD, thank you! It is a pleaure to do business with you.

75reef

Hello,

Thank you for your post and kind words. . We always do our best to provide our customers with excellent prices and the best service possible. As we are reef keepers ourselves, we have a good understanding of the products we carry and can usually help with technical questions or other reef-related questions.

We look forward to doing business with you in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Walter
Marine Depot Customer Service

Re: Product returns and exchanges.

So your posting to let everyone know that your happy and proud to have paid a $55 restocking fee??? I don't get it! I would think someone would only make a post to say that their fee was waived and they were happy. I think MDs customer sales reps are some of the best on the planet, it's definitely one of the nicest companies to order from, but they are loosing many customers because of the restocking fee and the lack of flexibility to deal with customers on a case by case basis.

If I spend $2000 with MD and need to return a $150 item in the order, don't tell me about restocking fee's or you are going to loose me as a customer. They need to let their customer service people be able to judge when to apply restocking charges and not have blanket rules.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8455424#post8455424 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 75reef
I have recently began purchasing equipment for a 30g I am setting up and as always placed my orders with the excellent staff at MD. On 2 occasions in the last 30 days, I ordered some pieces of equipment, had them shipped and then made changes to my setup which required something different. On both occasions, I paid out of my pocket for the return shipping and a small restocking fee. One of the things I returned was a chiller, why you ask? It's not important why but I got a different brand (again ordered from MD) that better suited my needs. The return shipping and restock fee for the chiller alone was $55. Am I mad? No way. I wouldn't ask them to flip the bill for a choice that I made. Thats how e-commerce works. I just wanted to share this little tidbit of information with my fellow reefers on RC. And to all of the staff at MD, thank you! It is a pleaure to do business with you.

75reef

Maybe my choice of words did not set the stage for what I wanted to say, and maybe I didn't go into enough detail. I am a working class individual like most and don't like to spend hard earned money unnecessarily. I did not say that I was happy or proud to pay $55 to return a chiller. I just said that it did cost me $55 to return it and that I was not mad because of it. The actual restocking fee was reduced from 10% to 5% because I accepted a store credit for other merchandise rather than a refund. The majority was the shipping at $40. Nobody has any control over that. I read so many threads here on RC (not just in the MD section) from people who are angry they had to pay return shipping on something they decided not to keep after ordering online. My response to that is go buy your stuff from the LFS. I was just trying to eliminate the drama and not offend anyone. I am not anti LFS either, I buy stuff from them too.

On a different note...

All of my old equipment has been sold off (wife is happy) and my new 30g soon to be SPS cube has the water circulating and the light is on. Anyone in Phoenix have any frags for sale???

75reef

Nice to see that they lowered it to 5%. at least MD is letting their reps be more liberal when dealing with customers.

Back