proper identification and treatment

thorSvenson

Over a month ago I lost most of my fish due to not properly quarantine of new fish I bought. Everything died accept two fish a yellow tang that was infected but survived and a six line wrasse that has never shown any sign of infection. Initially I tried several reef safe treatments but nothing worked. Both fish seem fine now but the yellow tang spends alot of time with two cleaner shrimp picking at him every night. I plan on removing the fish from the tank and treating them in a quarantine tank and leaving the reef tank empty for 8-10 weeks. At first I was convinced it was amyloodinium but now I'm not so sure. Um reading the marine aquarium hand book by Martin Moe and it sounds like it could have been cryptocaryon or even brooklynella. How can I be sure of the disease? Should I treat for all?

What about a freshwater bath or formalin? Probably a really stupid question but when you setup a quarantine tank do you use any water from the tank or new water? If its all new wouldn't it be more stressful for the fish putting them in a uncycled quarantine tank? If I use tank water and use copper wouldn't it kill free swimming parasites anyway?

You can use DT water. You may transfer some tomonts over, but any tomites released will be killed by the copper treatment. I used DT water in my HTs when I had to pull my fish out and leave my DT fallow. Never want to go through that again!

Can you use Cupramine and Prazipro together?

Yes, technically you can. Make sure the water is very well oxygenated if you do this. Don't use any ammonia binding products (ie Prime) with cupramine as it makes the copper toxic.

How dangerous is Cupramine to inverts? I started treating the infected fish in a QT tank with Cupramine. While making up a batch of water I added the Cupramine to a 5 gallon bucket that had a power head in it I usually use for making water for my DT. Will the powerhead have traces of copper on it after I rinse it off? Should I use a difeerent powerehead?

Back