Protein Skimmer: Eshopps S-120, Skimz SN-143, AquaC EV180... other for 90 gallon buil

oceanhighz

I'm setting up a new 90 gallon system with either a Skimz cube sump I have laying around or a 20L with custom acrylic baffle setup. The height of my stand inside (24" absolute max) is one limiting factor. I've looked at a few skimmers I've considered and realized they were too tall or too close for my comfort.

I'm looking for something that I don't have to fiddle with too much. I currently have a Skimz sN-143 that I'd need to buy a new pump for (loved how it skimmed when the pump worked, but it's been replaced 3 times, which has turned me off from other DC skimmers), an Eshopps S-120 that had been okay (Sicce pumps are great), but I feel like I have had better skimmers. I have an Avast CS-1 (again sicce pump) setup for recirc that I love but it's too tall to fit.

I've heavily considered looking at Aqua C EV-180's or some of the older skimmers that are not cone, as I remember them requiring less cleaning and fuss to run efficiently and consistently. I want a skimmer that pulls a ton, and the pump will last on.

I looked at a life Reef but most are too tall (new shorty version is out of the budget right now).

I'm open to all suggestions, I know Reef Octopus makes good skimmers, but was hoping to get input with someone who has been around a long time like me and dealt with older skimmers and newer. Not opposed to DC completely, but turned off since I've had issues with my skimz pump multiple times.

Note: With cone skimmers I've considered a skimmer swabbie and a skimmate container/locker to make them less work, since one of the reasons I'm considering something like the Aqua C Ev series is because the necks require less maintenance to keep running well.

Think I just read this same thread over on r2r.....lol

Anyways, for my 90 cube I just purchased a BM curve 5 elite. One of the biggest complaints about BM is the motor block. The elite comes with a sicce motor block and sicce needle wheel, so that has been addressed. Of course it adds 50$ to the price of a normal curve 5, but well worth it in my eyes.

I was really wanting the NYOS 120 but with x-mas just ending I didn't have the extra 400$. So settled on a budget friendly, well reviewed skimmer.

you may have read it on another forum as well. I'll have to take a look at that. I didn't know they had a sicce model. I was looking at the Curve 7 itself, but the cheap chinese pumps are a turn off.

They just came out with the Elite series this year. Some minor design upgrades, and the addition of the sicce motors.

If you don't mind me asking, why the 7 and not the 5? Curve 5 is rated for 140G and the 7 is for 240. Obviously it's all dependent on bioload, but still curious as to why the oversized?

Make sure you look for the ELITE series. The regular BM skimmers use the cheap knockoffs, the elite series uses the sicce motors.

EDIT:
Mine is coming in the mail today, so I cannot attest to its functionality. Wondering if I should send the 5 back and consider the 7?

I always buy a skimmer to over skim (and I've always been told the BM skimmers among others over estimate their skimming capabilities. I also had to go with a Skimz sump smaller than I would have liked for this tank, and figured it water turnover is faster through the sump than I'd like, a larger skimmer would skim that more efficiently than a smaller skimmer. Could be wrong, but in my head it makes more sense. I also figure if a skimmer over skims on my tank, I'll run it for 12 or 18 hours a day instead of 24 and if I upgrade down the road there is possibility of using the skimmer again. Though the next upgrade I do, I want to use a Downdraft skimmer or something like a Lifereef that won't fit my tank now.

Check out the Tunze 9410 DOC skimmer. It’s a great set and forget skimmer. It comes in an AC or DC version as well and you’ll have plenty of height clearance as it’s quite a short skimmer.

Check out the Tunze 9410 DOC skimmer. It's a great set and forget skimmer. It comes in an AC or DC version as well and you'll have plenty of height clearance as it's quite a short skimmer.
Thank you. I was actually really interested in this skimmer and looked at it as recently as last month.... Somehow forgot about it.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Back