Protein skimmer poll. What do you use?

I have a custom lifereef. I don't really like it. I have to run it extremely wet to get anything into the cup, it's very finicky and I'm constantly adjusting it, and the way the cup secures to the body is cheap imo. I think these problems are because it's custom though, standard lifereefs have much better reviews.

I had an ATB before that. It came with a dc pump which I didn't like. My next tank will likely have an MTC or ATB with the old Laguna based pump.

My system is around 190gal medium bioload atm but feed heavy.Was running a Aquamaxx C0-3 was loud and pulling out yellowish tinted skimmate. I got a used Royal Exclusiv Alpha 170 for a good price It is ripping out black nasty skimmate after 5days. Seeing the difference between the two The old statement you get what you pay for came to mind. The build quality is superior and runs dead silent. I was a firm believer thinking the high end skimmers are no different than ones half the price boy was I wrong. If I ever upgrade and found myself needing a new skimmer I will be looking at the BubbleKings.

Etss 800 currently, best skimmer I have used to date. Old euro reef would be second best, have had euro reef, Deltec, kz, swc. Since ETSS is gone my next build will have an MTC Venturi skimmer

Fish-street coral box d500 on a 65g medium/high bioload (anthias get fed alot).

Changed from a Vertex Omega 150.

Back