PSA:Attention hobbyist

AndyV

Attention hobbyist about a month or so i bought a frag pack from a member on this forum. It was a pretty large frag pack. The persons tank looked nice a healthy but it wasnt. Now jump to present date my tank was destroyed. Those frags were full of red bugs and flat worms. I lost about 90% of my corals. I had a really healthy 125g sps tank but that day i was in a rush for work and didnt dip. The hobbyist keeps selling frags and making alot of money from selling infect frags to members. Please hobbyist inspect the frags or corals before paying. Also remember to dip.

Yes you should dip but if people know they have an issue they should still pass that info along to buyers for their own reputation sake. That way the buyer can't get mad later and can beware and dip 1000 times

you went in raw. your fault. :(

rebuild, learn from your mistake, no need to bash unless the seller is knowingly selling dirty frags. If an infestation that bad took out your tank it would probably take out the sellers tank also and maybe even quicker.

you went in raw. your fault. :(

rebuild, learn from your mistake, no need to bash unless the seller is knowingly selling dirty frags.
Im not bashing that why the members name is not on it. It a learning experience.. Like i said on my post i take part blame for not dipping because of being in a rush

Look guys im not bashing or putting anyone on blast. I simply wrote this so member remember to inspect and dip corals before introducing them into there tank

Go back to my post 3 months ago. Always QT your corals. A dip is not enough. No dip kills the eggs. Sorry this happened to u. There r ways to manage a tank that has coral pests and keep the corals looking good for a long time. Lots of wrasses and other pest hunters can go along way to mask a tanks infestation. So even of the corals look good always QT new corals.

Also a turkey baster blowing the pests off the corals daily can do a lot to hid a problem and keep the corals happy.

As far as red bugs go... I can tell u for sure that bayer doesn't kill red bugs

Don't think just cause the tank the corals r coming from look good that the corals are pest free.

Sorry for your lose but red bugs and flat worms should not have taken out your system. I have been through both and won with minimal lose. I now keep interceptor on hand "I think everyone with smooth SPS should have" And a 6 line fixed my flat worm issue plus I keep flat worm exit on hand. I feel for your lose and have had crashes from other things but I question that 1 month of red bugs and flat worms destroyed you system. All I am saying is look for other things that did it.

Sorry for your lose but red bugs and flat worms should not have taken out your system. I have been through both and won with minimal lose. I now keep interceptor on hand "I think everyone with smooth SPS should have" And a 6 line fixed my flat worm issue plus I keep flat worm exit on hand. I feel for your lose and have had crashes from other things but I question that 1 month of red bugs and flat worms destroyed you system. All I am saying is look for other things that did it.

Agreed with most of that but remember there r different types of flatworms and it depends how large the corals where when this happened. For enable flat worm exit does nothing to AEFW for example. That all being said I agree. 1-3 months will not take out a full blown system.

Roger

Go back to my post 3 months ago. Always QT your corals. A dip is not enough. No dip kills the eggs. Sorry this happened to u. There r ways to manage a tank that has coral pests and keep the corals looking good for a long time. Lots of wrasses and other pest hunters can go along way to mask a tanks infestation. So even of the corals look good always QT new corals.

Also a turkey baster blowing the pests off the corals daily can do a lot to hid a problem and keep the corals happy.

As far as red bugs go... I can tell u for sure that bayer doesn't kill red bugs

Don't think just cause the tank the corals r coming from look good that the corals are pest free.

Most of what you're saying I agree with except the part about masking an infestation. I have been through an infestation and there is nothing you can do to hide the visible signs. Only speaking about AEFW, knock no wood, I have not had to deal with red bugs. Pest hunters, turkey basters is something you can do in addition to a dipping regimen but only to keep the coral alive but costs the health and color/PE of the coral.

Andy,
I know I sold you a 20+ frag pack back in April. I'm assuming you're blaming me. I'm very sorry that this has happened but blaming me or someone else for the loss is not the right thing to do. Your discretion is appreciated but I have nothing to hide. I even started a thread about AEFW a while back when I found them in my tank and usually tell people what I went through and how I overcame it. Most the people who have already participated in this thread have been to my home and bought coral from me. I'm sure some of them can attest to the fact that I am very open about it and by no means would I ever intentionally sell infected frags. Dipping is always suggested and have asked many people to report back to me if they find anything. I've had people contact me about salt content or another parameter that was not in check but never pests. Could the AEFW have come from my tank? Maybe, but not likely. As far as the red bugs go I'm sure as I can be that I do not have them nor have I ever. If I am in fact the member of this forum that you're speaking of I would gladly make you another pack of any 10 you want at no cost. I am not accepting or admitting to the accusations but just because there is a chance the AEFW came from me, I would like to make it right and if nothing else, soften the blow you've endured. Again, I'm sorry for your loss and I sincerely hope you dont give up on the hobby.

Thank you Macon for saying your piece. I just bought a frag from Emmett and it is in my QT. It will go through a dipping protocol like every other frag. I was over Macon's a while ago and meet a Orlando reefer there. Macon was inspecting a frag and we found a AEFW. Even though he cleaned it he would not sale that frag or another that he thought had a bite mark. He has a honest character and would not knowingly sale bad frags.

Back