Pukani and Fiji Branch leaching PO4

ReefSultan

Hi All

I have 400 liters 2 years old SPS dominated bare bottom tank

Only parameter I was not keeping stable was PO4 last 5 months and it effected my corals health as trying lots of different things I mean cutting additives like amino , coral foods adding gfo but all these didn't have a routine

I didn't use PO4 export method other then skimmer in 1 year maybe but didn't realize my rocks are sucking PO4

What I was trying to achieve is a regular feeding method and export method and stable po4 but this didn't worked till my rocks started to leach PO4. I was adding gfo and next day going down to 0.05ppm the other day I see it come back 0.15ppm. I know about flow and volume of gfo impact etc

So 20th April which is 1 week ago I replaced second batch (250 gr) of my rowa pho's and again cut back all additives and coral foods (not happy about this) now po4 is stable at 0.067ppm for 2-3 days but I am sure if I renew gfo as po4 will go lower then rocks capacity (I believe it is same as water now 0.067) it will start leaching again..as you can see gfo capacity is reaching full in couple of days actually even I feed one time very limited and no import of po4 with additives

So I will today renew gfo and try to export all po4 as much as possible again..target is making sure gfo capacity is reaching full nit in couple of days should be couple of weeks!

Btw, I know flow impact in reactor , amount etc.all tested it is really media is getting full in couple of days! So guess how much pukani rock is leaching

Feel free to comment and hope this helps people who struggle with PO4 swings even when they start using gfo

Cheers

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

How are the animals doing? Are the corals improving?

Keeping the phosphate steady is going to be difficult, but the animals should be okay eventually.

I am having growing speed problems
Very strong light and the rest of the parameters solid like rock

That's my last bullet to attack po4 swings
I am not talking about peaks due to reef roids feedings or such really strong stable up and downs stays one week or so

If the corals are growing slowly, I'd check whether the lighting is appropriate to the species. Strong lighting can be too much for some corals. Otherwise, I'd try to keep the phosphate level down toward 0.03 ppm or so, and work from there. The issue might be a missing nutrient or the like. Have you run a nitrate test lately?

Yes tests are done frequently and and they are very stable other then Po4

Salinity 1.026
KH 7.5
CA 430
MG 1320
No3 3
PO4 0.067
Potassium between 390-410 (last test today 390)

Anyway problematic coral was on high part, will bring it down a bit

Yes po4 need to be at 0.03
I will test 12 hours later

Back