Purple and yellow tang

Bolo Tran

Two days ago I added a yellow tang to my tank that already had an established purple tang to replace the yellow tang that perished from a "superglue" accident, which is a whole other story. I figured they would do well together as i replaced him shortly after the demise of the original yellow tang, but I was wrong.

10 seconds upon introduction, the new yellow tang was viciously and unrelentlessly attacked by the purple. It was a massacre but today the new yellow is still holding on.

Is there anything I can do to lessen the aggression? I was advised that I should relocate the purple tang into my sump so that it could lose it's territory and dominance. Would this work or would he continue with his torture once he comes back in?

Btw I know this will be asked but the yellow tang is a little smaller than his cousin.

50/50.. You could try moving around the rockwork and break up the purples territory. Purple tangs are the most aggressive in the zebrasoma family.

I know this sounds crazy, but I had a similar situation with a purple tang, bothering a (new addition) kole tang and always in the same area on the right side of the tank. I tried the mirror trick and he ignored it....so a few days later I put a picture of a large (10") clownfish, against the right side glass...the purple would head down there, see the giant clown, and turn around...after a week or so, I removed the picture..and they have lived together without problems, since!

wow i will have to try the picture thing next time. I usually use a fish trap and remove the old fish for a week

I do this all the time when I drop new fish in my tank. If the new one start to get chased/bully by the old fish in the tank, I'll put 5-6 pictures of new fish against the tank. I know it is sound crazy but it works.

I know this sounds crazy, but I had a similar situation with a purple tang, bothering a (new addition) kole tang and always in the same area on the right side of the tank. I tried the mirror trick and he ignored it....so a few days later I put a picture of a large (10") clownfish, against the right side glass...the purple would head down there, see the giant clown, and turn around...after a week or so, I removed the picture..and they have lived together without problems, since!

I had to redue my aquascape.. to get my purple tang to settle down. I would take the yellow tang out, purple tangs are mean.

purple tangs are just mean boogers to begin with...im not sure there is much that you could do.....

my purple actually picked on my foxface(which was bigger then him) then suddenly stopped after i found a huge welt on the purple now they get along fine. i suspect the purple got on the business end of the foxface's fins....ha

then i added a flame angel to the tank 5months later....the purple picked on him as well...so..im pretty well convinced that doesnt really matter what fish you put in the tank the purple will bully

My purple will not let me introduce another tang, tried the above, not the picture but the other methods, no luck. Looks like it is one tang and 6 wrasses.

This really bites. Havent seen the yellow tang in 2 days so my hopes run dry. IMO every tank needs a yellow tang. Theyre beautiful. Next one I try Im throwing that purple tang in sump area and just hope that hes happy in there. Serves him right. JK

I'd second the mirror ...... the thing is, you've got to move the mirror around a bit occasionally.

If the yellow can settle and start to feed properly you should get away with it, but I;ve gotta say the porr thing is going to have a miserable life for quite some time, if not forever......

Back