Purple tang or PBT

psilentchild

My tank is 430 gallon. I have in my tank 3 yellow tangs, vlamingii tang, 3 flame angels,annularis angel,bicolor angel,coral beauty, a maroon clown and a magnificent foxface. My wife wants a bule hippo tang and a porcupine puffer. I loved the blue red yellow combo of fish I have.I would like to add one more blue fish. Would the PT or PBT be ok to add as a last fish?

Either should be fine, and probably both could go in given the size of your tank and your stock list. I think your biggest risk is whether the yellow tangs will have a problem with the purple. The purple tang won't provide you with much blue, though. :lolspin:

either should be fine. Both might even be OK. I keep a powder blue, purple and hippo in a 300g and its a good mix. the purple and powder posture a bit and they ignore the hippo.

Both the PBT and purple are great tangs, two of my favorite. I don't see many purples anymore though. Maybe, it's just me.

I have blue hippos with a purple and no issue. Previously, I also had PBT with the blue hippos and they were fine.

Get both. When I upgrade, I am going to add a PBT again.

Van.

i love both fish, and i currenty own a purple. Only problem is, in my experience these 2 fish are 2 of the biggest a holes.

In a tank that large I would add both. Im sure you have a QT system, because I would never put a PBT in a system without QTing. They are Ich magnets. PT's come mostly from the Red Sea I believe, but there isnt much exporting coming out of the Red Sea area, and when it does its expensive. I see small PT's at LFS for $100 to $120.

i love both fish, and i currenty own a purple. Only problem is, in my experience these 2 fish are 2 of the biggest a holes.

PBTs and PTs can be very mean. This might just be my experience but I had a mean PBT and a mean PT but after I added a red sea sailfin tang which is much larger than the both of them, they mellowed out. It seems that if there is a dominant tang, they understand their place and loose their agression, even to other tangs.

Luckily, the red sea sailfin is just one easy going fish.

I wonder if I was just lucky and this is rather a one-time thing or do others have similar experiences?

I'd do both at the same time in a tank that size. You can wait about a year and put a sohal half the size of your biggest tang and watch them keep away with good reason.:beer:

I have all 3 together with yellow and blonde naso:)

I have read a lot about the powder blue being ich magnets. I have always wanted one but hasn't got one cause of ich. I have never had ich(knock on wood) and don't plan on getting it.

PBT need to be quarantined. They are up there with hippo tangs re:ich. Purples are from the red sea pretty much exclusively and are prototypical red sea fish: tough as nails. BOTH of these fish are probably just short of Sohal tangs in being in tank bullies. Your tank is plenty big. It's just a fish personality issue.

Ich is as much about stress and poor nutrition than the parasite itself imo. A otherwise healthy fish living in a stress free tank with proper nutrition including supplements should be able to overcome Ich in most cases imo.

Ich is as much about stress and poor nutrition than the parasite itself imo. A otherwise healthy fish living in a stress free tank with proper nutrition including supplements should be able to overcome Ich in most cases imo.

And those fish will be causing a ton of stress on addition.

I have a 260 gal and multiple larger angels , trigger, tusk and Sohal....Aside from my scribbled angel, the Sohal is my second favorite...... Great personality, fast as lightning and a prolific eater. Sure, he has his moments of slight dominance, but otherwise is a model citizen.... For a large tank like yours, I would surely recomend him.

That's a tough choice. I have both in my tank right now and besides looks, I see that the PBT picks more the algae from the rocks than my PT. I've had my PT for 5 yrs now and I think he knows that he's going to get fed nori each day so he doesn't pick algae from the rock or glass. He lazy eater. :lol:

Back