Purposeful zoa infestation?

harriehack

Just looking for some opinions, forgive me as this has probably been discussed I just can't find it. I've been considering just letting zoas or palythoas(several different variations) take over all my live rock in place of Coraline. Then after the infestation has gained maximum coverage placing other pieces/corals into the "carpet" by drilling and placing plugs amongst the zoas. I have used a 4ft drill bit to drill rocks and place corals while the tank is full so that's not a concern. Has anybody done something like this and what are your thoughts? Tank has been running for years just looking for something to regain interest in the hobby...

My only concern here would be warfare between the different corals. I recently had an Acropora frag fall out of the frag rack onto a colony of R. Florida and the Ricordea killed the Acro. It's possible the Zoas could kill or be killed by the other corals you put into the "carpet."

My only concern here would be warfare between the different corals. I recently had an Acropora frag fall out of the frag rack onto a colony of R. Florida and the Ricordea killed the Acro. It's possible the Zoas could kill or be killed by the other corals you put into the "carpet."
Yeah I'm thinking I'd probably have to stick to euphyllia type corals or other corals that could combat the spread

It's doable but needs woork to keep the zoas in check. Some will grow in surprisingly low light and tolerate aggressive corals so shading and stinging from other coarls may not keep them in check.

I think zoas specifically should be okay. I have several SPS literally bathing in zoas and they're okay. There's definitely some interaction particularly noticeable with the cap trying to grow up and over the zoas. I actually purposely trim that area to maintain the zoa garden in the middle of the cap since the cap grows faster. On the other side of the spectrum you can see how far the war coral sweepers can extend to keep pushing back the cap. In the other pic there's another large colony of zoas touching several SPS colonies. Eventually the faster grower will push back or smother the other.

1000008780.jpg

1000008781.jpg

Last edited:
I think zoas specifically should be okay. I have several SPS literally bathing in zoas and they're okay. There's definitely some interaction particularly noticeable with the cap trying to grow up and over the zoas. I actually purposely trim that area to maintain the zoa garden in the middle of the cap since the cap grows faster. On the other side of the spectrum you can see how far the war coral sweepers can extend to keep pushing back the cap. In the other pic there's another large colony of zoas touching several SPS colonies. Eventually the faster grower will push back or smother the other.

View attachment 32406608
View attachment 32406610
Amazing work! This is pretty much what I have in mind... letting the coral find its own way, thank you for sharing.

Back