Pvc pipe reaming

LT72884

Ello all. I actually found this forum by accident. I googled searched for some pvc pipe help and was lead here.

Disclaimer: i am not a hobby fish guy. I love love love to look at them and admire their beauty, but thats about it, oh and someone donated me their gold fish that were the size of a silver dollar and are now about a foot in length in a 65 gallon tank.....

Ok, the real reason i am here. I play paintball and love it. But i need to make a tube that can hold paintballs. Problem is, i cant use the .75ID pipe due to fact that OD is to large. So i must ream out a .5 ID pipe to about .72. However, most stadard sizes are .75. I tried a drill bit and it tore it all to pieces haha. I do not have a drill press.

I jave narraowed it down to two options, one, i use a small wood lathe to turn down OD or i ream out the ID of the other...

The length of each finished product is about 8 inches. I may try to go 1.5 feet

Advice please:) oh, i have access to the following tools

Battery drill
Wood lathe(small)
Hack saw
Hammer
Dremel
Chop saw
Band saw(old)

Thank you much

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

They do make a thinner walled 1/2" PVC pipe, You can get at Lowes'. I measured a piece at 0.85" OD, 0.71" ID maybe that could work for ya.

Edit; Idea...Try sandpaper wrapped around a wooden dowel for smoothing.

Last edited:
Could you not just use schedule 30 or CL100 instead of reaming Sch40, or even DWV pipe for that matter?

PVC is fine to machine but trying to get a thin wall on something that small and that long is not happening with those tools.

Could you not just use schedule 30 or CL100 instead of reaming Sch40, or even DWV pipe for that matter?
What is schedule 30? Also, what the heck does schedule mean haha.

I know i could buy paintball tubes but it defeats my purpose of learning and also the feel im going for:)

You know, as a mechanical engineer major, i have two years left, they have taught me nothin when it comes to ansi or names of stuff. Yeah i can do math like non other but i need more than that haha

Thanks for all the replys. I will reply again in a moment

Use the hammer...

:D
I thought about that haha. Thanks for all info and links. I will look into the links and see what i van find:).

On a side note, can you make homemade water condituoner to get rid of chlorine and other stuff?

Thanks

You know, as a mechanical engineer major, i have two years left, they have taught me nothin when it comes to ansi or names of stuff. Yeah i can do math like non other but i need more than that haha

Very ....very...very typical..

On a side note, can you make homemade water condituoner to get rid of chlorine and other stuff?
All you need to do is put water into a bucket and leave the top off and chlorine will typically evaporate/dissipate into the environment in 24 hours or so..

not sure what "other stuff" is.. Doesn't sound like a technical Engineering term either :p

All you need to do is put water into a bucket and leave the top off and chlorine will typically evaporate/dissipate into the environment in 24 hours or so..

not sure what "other stuff" is.. Doesn't sound like a technical Engineering term either :p
Other stuff that could kill fish thats in tap water haha :) haha.

Awesome. That is good to know:) i will look into it.

Couldnt find the edit button since tapatalk updated. Anyway i was gonna add more to my post.

Thanks for the links and help with the pvc pipe stuff. I have a few options now. Mcmastwr carr seems pretty dang cool with all the stuff they have and most likely i will be using them for alot of stuff haha

What is schedule 30? Also, what the heck does schedule mean haha.

I know i could buy paintball tubes but it defeats my purpose of learning and also the feel im going for:)

Thanks for all the replys. I will reply again in a moment

Sch40 is standard PVC pipe that your used to seeing.
Sch30 is thinner walled PVC also in the plumbing section that is for lower pressures.
DWV pipe is very thin and is for pressureless applications. It stands for drain, waste, vent.

It’s actually sch20. Lowe’s does not carry it near me only Home Depot. It has half the wall thickness of sch40. But, it has a larger ID. Same OD. Ran prolly 10k feet last year for a/c drain lines.

Back