pwoder tangs arrived from liveaquaria

It looks like the powder blue is stronger and the yellow's aggression is half-hearted. I imagine you will find the yellow doesn't bother the powder blue after today and the powder blue becomes the boss of the tank. The powder brown doesn't seem too concerned either, so it probably will stop the yellow from bothering it in a day or two.

How big is the tank?

I guess you know it is pretty risky putting 2 powder tangs in a tank with quarantine first. Hope it works out ok.

didnt qt eventhough i know i should. so far so good. the yellow is backing off. the blue is way smaller than both the brown and yellow. so far, the blue has been very shy.

You have 3 tangs in a 72 gallon tank? These tangs need at least a 6 foot tank. You will want to consider upgrading at some point or find a new home that is more suitable for them. I would suggest that you take a look at this thread and make a responsible decision:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946079

[/sarcasm]

In all seriousness, beautiful tank, beautiful combination of tangs, and great choice of fish, although I myself tend to avoid Damsels like the plague.

its fairly small. the blue is 2 inches, while the brown only 4. i have two other tanks, 90 and 20. hopefully in the next few months, i will be getting at least a 150. been in the hobby for 6 years. i have treated ick before the natural way with cleaner shrimps and garlic and it has seem to work for me. no ick outbreak ever for the last 5 years (knock on wood). they were getting along as of last night.

I had always heard you could not mix powder blues and browns in the same tank. I certainly hope it works out for you and report back either way.

I am sure many of us would like to give this a try if it ends up being viable long term. (course I am kind of maxed on tangs in my current tank)

Michael

gl man...unfortuantly the comecome here will not be good in a tank that size. and garlic and cleaner shrimp cant possibly remedy the problem 100%...food for thought

24 hours after adding powder tangs, everyone seems happy and at peace. yellow no longer chasing. everyone grazing together. i agreed a 72 is a bit too small. the tangs got ways to go before it will outgrow it. a bigger tank is definitely in the work, probably in the next 3-6 months. below is video taken today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKh4peEwCzQ

Nice tank.

I hate it when people complain about tang tank sizes, do the fish talk to you and tell you what they like?

I know a guy with a hippo tang in a 75 gallon tank, 20+ years old and 10 inches long. Basically comes up to you wanting you to pet it. One of the coolest fish I've ever seen, you can see it's age but it's awesome.

Nice tank.

I hate it when people complain about tang tank sizes, do the fish talk to you and tell you what they like?

I know a guy with a hippo tang in a 75 gallon tank, 20+ years old and 10 inches long. Basically comes up to you wanting you to pet it. One of the coolest fish I've ever seen, you can see it's age but it's awesome.

Wow, so the hippo is close to its max size of 12 inches.

It's personally something I wouldn't do, but I can't argue with him because I've never had a fish live 20 years yet. It is the only fish in the tank and there is a ton of rock in it so the 75 gallons of swimming room is really not even there.

I just hate when I see people criticize people for putting 2-5 inch tangs in a 4 foot tank or whatever, that is plenty of room as long as you really do upgrade when they get bigger.

Back