Quarantining questions - tangs, flasher wrasses

knight2255

I have a 10g and a 20g qt. I am planning on qt'ing a powder blue and a hippo in the 20g. The 10g will get a mccoskers and a carpenters wrasse. I was planning on dividing the 10g in half with eggcrate/birdnetting so that they can get used to each other. I was also planning on prophylactically treating the tang qt with cupramine for the first 2 weeks. All the fish are the smallest size available and will have hiding spots in small pvc fixtures. Does this check out?

Sounds like you have a good plan to me, may want to look into using prazipro for flukes after the copper

I would treat it with cupramine for longer just to make sure. I believe a lot of peeps on here suggests 4 weeks

I've got some prazipro already that I can use.

I was reading the pbt primer thread and came across Chloroquine Phosphate for ick, anyone have experience with this? Seems safer than cupramine, especially at not killing off all the filter floss bacteria.

I would stick to the tried and proven copper for ick. Cupramine is pretty easy on fish too compare to other copper.

I would stick to the tried and proven copper for ick. Cupramine is pretty easy on fish too compare to other copper.

+1 all of your fish should be able to handle it no problem as long as they are healty and eating well. Ramp up to the full dose over 4-7 days and it will be easier for the fish to adapt. I treat cupramine for 4 weeks and imediately remove the fish into another qt or into the DT. Read the stickie about the lifecycle of ich, you don't want to medicate only to have it come back while you are observing the fish.

I'm not sure about 2 tangs in a 20, keep an eye out for agression. If you need more room you can always buy a large plastic storage tub from walmart and qt all of them together. Should be enough room to keep your tangs happy if they are small.

Back