question about tank size

I doubt I'd try. A small shrimp might be fine, though. Maybe Thor amboinensis would be one to consider.

i have a desktop nano... 5.5g. I have a clown goby in there... perches on his favorite coral branch all day. A neon goby would be a good choice as well... maybe 2 even.

That's usually a good size for dwarf sea horses as well, but those would be more demanding then the others mentioned.

i have a small ocellaris clown in a 6 gallon for a year now, they really dont swim too much and he just stays on one side of the tank

thanks guys, because the GF wants to start a tank and i want to give her something easy that she can take care of.

5 gal is not an easy tank to take care of. Go with at least a 10-20gal. The smaller the tank the harder it is to keep temp in check as well as stability of water quality.

My 5.5g is packed, and I even made a little skimmer for it. I have a few sexy shrimp in there, a couple boxing crabs, four porcelain crabs, a frilly-arrow crab, and a few hermits as well as the goby.

The secret is that its not really a full-on reef. I only grow hardy mushrooms in there (its nothing but cobalt blues, bright oranges and watermellon reds with some metallic green shrooms... quite the eye-popper for a shroom only tank). I suppose, I do have some pipe-organ in there as well as some xenia... and a frag of monti-cap, but for the most part, its nutrient absorbing soft corals.

AND, the main reason I can have such a high load inside of it is because I change out almost all of the water on a weekly basis with the main systems. I remove about 4 gallons, then take 4 gallons from the main reef, and put that in the nano. Then I replace the 4g in the main system. It makes for a small percentage change every week... very effective. It also keeps the nano in tip-top shape without any major filtration but the built in sump and skimmer.

If you have a larger system to 'borrow' water from on a regular basis, your odds of success are greatly improved.

I'd say something "easy" would be in the 30gal range, as the 5gal will be super susceptible to changes in chemical balance. Easy to me translates to FW.

Back