Question for owners of Bubble Magus Curve 5 or Curve 7 skimmmers

How quiet are they and would you buy one again?

It's actually a very well balanced and decently well built skimmer body. Skip the cheap Chinese pump though and order the Seaside Awuatics version (ES5 or ES7). Same body with an Italian Sicce pump. I can't for the life of me figure out why people still recommend Bubble Magus products if there is a comparable Seaside product available.

I've been using the Curve 5 for 7-8 months now and it is very quite. My only beef is it took about 2-months to break-in. But in hindsight I think it's because I was running it with no livestock and I had used aquarium epoxy on some rock work, which made it foam like crazy. It really took a few water changes and some bio waste from livestock for it to start working properly.

Over a year with a curve 7, works very well. The original pump is still strong and quiet.

Nearly 3 years now with my Curve 5. It's a good skimmer for the money. I've never owned a high end skimmer so I can't speak for how it compares. Pluses are it is very quiet, low energy, easy to clean and adjust, attractive.
Negatives are it tends to stall out on skimmate production once the neck gets the slightest amount of film. Unless I want to skim so wet the skimmate is apple juice colored, I have to clean scrub and dry the neck in the cup every 2-3 days or it stops producing. Once it's clean the foam will rise again. And it's NOT that my tank is too clean. I run a heavy bioload, with lots of feeding, and the skimmer is undersized. I've been debating on upgrading to something a class higher like lifereef or aquamaxx or something. Or just going up to a curve 7 since they're so cheap. The seaside aquatics obviously are exactly the same but with Sicce pumps and are a bit costlier. Honestly. Having a sicce pump isn't exactly a plus to me. Their impellers are probably 75%+ the cost of the pump, and I've had one blow on me inside of 9 months and received the lousiest customer service imaginable when trying to get a new one. Maybe it was a lemon, but right now my bubble magus pump has outlived my sicce pump by over 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had the Curve 5 for about six months.
Very quiet and, once I figured out it needs to be high in the water, skims very well.
Only issue I have is salt build up in the venturi right where the air hose connects. Conveniently though, the interior diameter of the hole is the same size as a bamboo barbeque skewer which makes it easy to clean it out.

Back