question for people with elegance coral

ahullsb

Mine keeps swelling up periodically over the past few days to the point that it looks like a football. And releases some sort of mucous looking material. Anyone else experience this? I"m trying to figure out if this is normal behavior or whether it doesn't like something in the water right now.

Mine did the exact same thing before it started going downhill.
I read an article by Borneman where he stated he noticed a high percentage of elegances that died did the mucus and bloating thing.
Even if there is something wrong with the elegance, there might be nothing wrong with your tank.

How much light is it getting?

It's at the bottom of the tank and I have 2 150 watt mh's and 4 t5 actinics. It has been one of the healthiest ones I've ever seen around Sacramento. More so than the purple tipped one I have. Is there problem having the different elegance corals in a tank that size?

I am tracking mine and trying to figure it out. Twice now it has gone from looking awesome to staying closed up, and both times I think I have it traced to letting my dkh get too low, but I am not 100% sure. I have been experimenting and trying to calculate my exact calcium and alk usage, so I can establish the amount of buffer to add to my topoff water and it seems that the elegance takes it on the chin when I stopped buffering for about five days.

I do not see any releasing of anything, but notice that the color becomes less translucent and it stays mostly closed up. Yesterday it looked to be about 75% back to normal.

hth
jp

elegance rarely if ever survive in tanks any longer; i advise you not buy them and stop supporting their death sentences.

pretty cool, somebody who had thiers over a year also reported it doing better after dosing - I thought that thread and the 'project' had been dead for a while now.

Great.....*#&$%*(# Mine has that disease also. The picture seals the deal. Some nights when I get home this late I just want to throw in the towel....As I mentioned I have two. Will they infect each other?

Well . . . what would you do for any of your other corals if it started looking bad? QT, iodine, water changes, check parameters, carbon?

Can you post a picture of what you are seeing, I know it would help me out to compare it to my elegance. I'd be happy to post how mine looks as well.

jp

I haven't gotten a chance to take a pic or read through the article entirely. I know you can try to rehab corals, I just wasn't sure if this disease was a "death sentence" or not.

The picture is very typical of diseased elegance for the past two years or so.

My friend Linda used Tectra-d dip with some degree of sucess with elegance coral. I use it for Euhyllia spieces that have brown jelly/melting diseas. Good luck.

Back