question on water change

laredo300c

ok so i have a 55gallon reef sumpless, and i do a 2 gallon water change every five days which adds up to about 12 gallons a month (20% or so)....would you guys recommend doing 12 gallons, once a month or just the way i have been doing the water changes, and is there a difference....i have been battling green hair aglae and just cannot get rid of it.

All things being equal, you'll export more nutrient/waste by changing a larger water volume less often. In other words, a 12 gallon change every four weeks will take out more gunk than a 3 gallon change once per week for four weeks. That being said, a larger water change is more shocking to your inhabitants; so although you take out more waste, you have to balance the benefit of that against possible short term stress to fish and corals.
Personally, I normally change 10% per week, more if I'm starting to have an algae problem. I'd recommend this in your case.
I'd also look into starting a refugium with macro algae for nutrient export if you don't have one going already.
HTH,
Mariner

it's been up and running for 3 years never lost a fish and have build up my reef in the last 14 months buying manageable corals carefully ....i'm reading tonite on how to post pics cause i hate posting without pics.....not using ro water have always used distilled water from corner windmill water service station.....never had algae up untill 6 months ago

ok for my 55gallon i have:
1 koralia #3
1 koralia #4
50 lbs of live rock
cpr bak pak skimmer
regular marineland hob filter running only carbon
nove extreme t5 (4x54w)
thats it

Have you ever tested the water you get from the corner store for PO4 and/or NO3? Do they ever change there filters.

I would also suggest trying to get a PO4 reactor and a refugium going.
I would also suggest you try doing larger water changes, like maybe 10% every week for a while until you get things under control.
I would definitely recommend testing the water you are using, and even more strongly recommend purchasing your own RO/DI unit.

HTH

Good luck

Spleify

just did a 6 gallon water change and i have been looking into purchasing a ro/do unit......which is a good one and how hard is it to install and maintain such unit...thanks

Not much to an RO/DI system -- if I can hook one up, anyone can. :)
Melev has a good unit at a decent price, and a good Q&A explaining some of the basics. Other RC sponsors have good units as well (check the RC sponsors page). They all use about the same basic components. I bought mine used from a fellow reefer and found that I could order replacement filters from several different places for it.
HTH,
Mariner

I had hair algae. When I got a phosban reactor - it cleaned it up. I do not use RO water. I have well water and hope to avoid the whole RO thing also! Try the phosban reactor - not that expensive and I have it in my sump.

loredo,
You can run Phosban in a bag in your hob filter. My 75g is sumpless and that's what I do. Works great.
As far as RO/DI goes, I went four years hauling RO water from a dispenser at Walmart. It worked fine, but I finally bit the bullet and got the RO/DI this year. It is SOOOOOOOO much more convenient, cheaper and the water quality is better too. Bite the bullet; you'll be glad you did.
Mariner

Back