Questions about LPS/Softie Tank

BonesCJ

I've decided to do my tank as an LPS/Softie tank, does anyone know of any specific issues with mixing things like leathers, hammers, frogspawns, brains and other general LPS and Soft Corals? And does anyone have any specific tips on this type of tank? At the Auctions/Trade meetings do alot of these types of corals show up? I have always liked starting small and seeing things grow so single head frags are always nice.

Many LPS have large sweeper tentacles that sting other corals. The tentacles can badly damage other LPS and softies. I believe if you keep them fed well then they don't tend to get aggressive.
Zoos and mushrooms are the only commonly traded softy and there isn't very many LPS due to the fact that many are hard to frag.

Agreed, the sweepers are the hardest part, this torch tentacle is over twelve inches long. I love my LPS, but I have had to move things around a number of times because they surprise me with their reach.

crazysweeper.jpg

I have also lost several zoos and heads of candy-cane to stinging from neighbors. It can be done, you just have to give them lots of room. I have seen a lot of candy cane, hammers, torch, frogspawn and other branching things in the trades/auctions. Sometimes blastos.

I think it depends on the individual coral. You kind of have to intervue each individual to see if it's gonna be nasty or not, there is a huge amount of variation within the same species.

Make sure you always run a bag of carbon in the sump or in a reactor. You will have lots of chemical warefare going on among the different types of coral and carbon really helps.

That is pretty much what I thought, I already run carbon now and change it pretty regularly, I have heard that hammers and frogspawns can touch each other and not sting.

Back