Questions about Rics and lighting...

chelskisw6

Generally, are Rics lower light corals?

I had a few in my 12g eclipse, all looked great, started splitting, etc. Then i moved them into a tank with T5s, and they all bleached :( Ive moved some into a dark corner in hopes they will revive, a couple have made it however, and are splitting.

I really want to get more Rics, but im really worried about the same thing happening again. Is it just a matter of aclimating them to the lighting? What is the best way to do this?

Thanks

Rics can definitely go high light but just like anything - acclimation is key. start low and in a shady-ish spot. . T5s can be super strong.. slowly move..

Some people will put layers of wedding veil or window screen on top of their tank in the area of the shroom and slowly remove layers to acclimate too

It's kind of important if we know what kind of rics you guys are talking about.
Yuma or florida?

My experience is yuma like lower light, florida like higher light.
Yes, acclimatization is important.

Re: Questions about Rics and lighting...

As everyone else has said aclimation is key. Any coral you have, if it was under stock lighting in an eclipse 12 (2x18 no flourescent, I believe) to a tank lit by HOt-5s, the moved coral is going to experience severe light shock. If you are going to move corals from low light to high light, you must put them in a lower light area and gradually move them to more light.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9307732#post9307732 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smp
It's kind of important if we know what kind of rics you guys are talking about.
Yuma or florida?

My experience is yuma like lower light, florida like higher light.
Yes, acclimatization is important.

People will have this arguement all day long. Yes, yumas are more sensitive to changes in environmental conditions. This being said, they must be acclimated to light slower than florida's. That does not mean they don't do better in high light. There are several people on here that will chime in and say thier yumas are 8-10 inches away from a 400 MH. In fact, the best coloration changes I have seen on yumas have come from acclimating them too high light, and letting them get pounded from 400's.

I suspect you're right, but I stand by my comment that it's important to mention which you have when seeking advice. I treat mine differently, that's for sure.

I am a member of the 400w 20k Lumenarc club, except most of mine are 5-6 inches under, some only 1-2 inches under-haha
I do acclimate my Yumas a little more than the other rics, but after a month or so they are right there with the others and wantsolatta is correct they will get brighter, better color under intense light.

I also feed my tank very heavy which might help them adjust to the high light. I feed this mixed with chromaplex, Orange juice, DT's and a few other misc stuff thrown in, it is kind of my own potion.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=8791724#post8791724

I am setting up my new 11 inch deep tank this weekend and I will be adding about 300w of VHO to my setup. I will cut back the photo period for a couple of hours a day for a week or so so they can adjust.

T5's I dont have much experience with and I have read that they can bleach stuff.
I have only had one of my shrooms, rics, zoos bleach under my 400 and that was when it fell behind another rock. good luck

Back