questions on set up

hawaiian_boi

undercover reefer
im in the prosses of buying a new tank . its a 210 gallon tank 29 in H x 24 in W x 72 in L. i have a couple of questions . this tank is going to be all sps.

Photo_012108_001.jpg

Photo_012108_001.jpg

im going with a closed loop system on a om 4 way . first question what size pump would be best for the om 4 way? its going to fire 1,2,3,4 . in the pic shows where and when there going to fire. next question is what size pipe coming out of the om 4 way is best for this setup? next would be what size drain and pipe would be best? last question is what size return pump and pipe size? hopefully theat would be all the flow i need. i may also in the future be adding a wave box .
thanks in advance for all your help.

Your tank size is almost identical to mine. I had an Amp Master 3000 on my closed loop, and one for my return pump. Due to power consumption, I have changed the closed loop to a Eheim 1262, added two Tunze 6100's and will be changing out the return pump to an Eheim also.

Is there a reason you only went 24 deep and 29 tall instead of the other way around?

That's my dimensions, it's a 225. You'll love the 30 deep, give you room for something different than a rock wall.

im trying not to have any powerheads visable due to the fact that its a room divider. i looked up the eheim aand it only pumps out 900. you think that it would be a good return pump? is that enough ? i know the reeflow barracuda is a monster.would you recommend another pump. low power consumption with a little more flow than the eheim 1262. or would it be easier to get some tunze powerheads? i really dont want to go that route unless i have too.

Well, I chose to have most of my flow in the tank, and not thru the filters (sump). It all depends on what your trying to do. The barracuda would be a great closed loop pump, but IMO may be over kill for a return. Do you know how much flow your overflow will handle? That will be the limiting factor of the return pump. I have my AM3K valved about 1/2, all the more reason to hook up my last Eheim.

i would think that return would be fine, with your closed loop. I was told that its better to not have that much flow going through your sump. Plus aren't you looking for more flow through the closed loop, and not depending on the return? If the eheim only consumes a smaller amount of electricity than the pump you have, you should just do that and get a rockin pump for the Closed loop. After all you will probably want to save on your electric bill as much as possible with that tank haha. Im just trying to give my thought.... im no expert and really know nothing about this, hope it helps good luck.

well i was thinking about 800 -900 gph for a return but im just lost when it comes to the closed loop. i just dont want to see power heads . and i dont want a 400 dollar electricty bill. maybee the dart instead?

if you do a CL without PH then go with the baracuda since u have to figure the head loss and 90 elbow. Have 4 return on top and configure a gire flow. For the return if u don't have to split to other equipment then the eheim is great since it's low heat and low wattage.

Back