Radion Questions

griss

RC Mod
Staff member
RC Mod
So, I bought a used (empty) 120 complete system today. It came with 2 Radion XR G3 Pro lights. Thanks to @reefing102 i was able to determine model, gen and determine they are upgradable to Mobius.

As most of you know, I know nothing about high end LED’s. I’ve heard mixed things about Mobius, so first multipart question, do I want to upgrade to Mobius if I use these? If yes, what all do I need to do that?

Second question. The seller only had one power source so, I can only power one fixture. What power source do I need?

So, I bought a used (empty) 120 complete system today. It came with 2 Radion XR G3 Pro lights. Thanks to @reefing102 i was able to determine model, gen and determine they are upgradable to Mobius.

As most of you know, I know nothing about high end LED’s. I’ve heard mixed things about Mobius, so first multipart question, do I want to upgrade to Mobius if I use these? If yes, what all do I need to do that?

Second question. The seller only had one power source so, I can only power one fixture. What power source do I need?
I’m kinda speechless…congratulations on the 120, but I’m kinda speechless.

*scratches head*

I’m not sure about where to find a replacement for the power adapter, but that’s a good light. You’ll hear conflicting reports on mobius. I don’t have any experience with it, but probably wouldn’t use it anyway (personally).

I’ve never had experience with mobius. I’ve heard issues and I’ve heard fantastic things.

It appears the biggest difference is app control versus web-based programming. Looks like EcoSmart Live requires hooking up the lights to the computer (if you don’t have ReefLink). Where as mobius is wireless and again app controlled.

EcoSmart Live - WEB-BASED AQUARIUM EQUIPMENT COMMAND CENTER

Here’s the manual - https://support.ecotechmarine.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/4402370454679

This should be the power supply - Radion XR15wG3Pro Power Supply

That said, if you have one, I’d possibly try to Amazon it and match the details to one on amazon that’s likely way cheaper.

Thanks Shane, I was finding those but, what confused me is this is what came with the light.

Attachments

• IMG_5790.jpeg
    IMG_5790.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5791.jpeg
    IMG_5791.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5792.jpeg
    IMG_5792.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5793.jpeg
    IMG_5793.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5794.jpeg
    IMG_5794.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
I don’t believe that’s the original power supply. Definitely looks aftermarket. Even the XR30 appears to be smaller than that.

Wait, could this be the other power supply? Just found it in a tub the seller gave me with a handful of powerheads, heaters, ect.

Attachments

• IMG_5796.jpeg
    IMG_5796.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5797.jpeg
    IMG_5797.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5798.jpeg
    IMG_5798.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5799.jpeg
    IMG_5799.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
^That might be the power supply for the Jebao DCT-8000 maybe????
That looks closer to a normal power supply to me. But not sure to which it belongs without doing a “fitment” test

Okay, smaller power supply is definitely for the Jebao. Guess I’ll need to buy another at some point.

The Honeywell is just a power supply for like security / camera systems

Don't think it's even a "switching" one so pretty worthless though expensive. Certainly wouldn't use it for led lights for one thing.
Hmmm, interesting, I got two XR15 G3’s and this was the only power supply that came with it. The seller had purchased this tank/system used. So, she probably thought it was the original power supply.

Thanks Sean, much appreciated.
You might want to consider getting a larger one so you can run both 15's off one supply.
Just need the EXACT voltage out of the original and double the amps or watts.

Sooo 24V 5A (=120 Watts)
I'd even up the wattage a bit like to 200 so.
If you can keep it dry the open frame ones generally last longer.
Sale Price: $28.99

PART #: LRS-200-24
There is never a need to pay $90 for a 24v 60W power supply.
Meanwell 24v 60W "brick" $20

@kharmaguru Sean, so the link you provided directs me to this

Which says it’s 60 watt. But the specs for the light say 85 watt???? Assuming the 60 watt will power the 85 watt fixture????

You might want to consider getting a larger one so you can run both 15's off one supply.
Just need the EXACT voltage out of the original and double the amps or watts.

Sooo 24V 5A (=120 Watts)
I'd even up the wattage a bit like to 200 so.
If you can keep it dry the open frame ones generally last longer.

There is never a need to pay $90 for a 24v 60W power supply.
I am completely non-technical when it comes to this stuff. So, for two XR15g3 Pros, which specific power supply would I need?

So, in that link I’d want (1) 5V 200w? Would I need to splice any wires? I am capable of doing that, but anything more electronic, I’m not comfortable with.

Thank you.

@kharmaguru Sean, so the link you provided directs me to this

Which says it’s 60 watt. But the specs for the light say 85 watt???? Assuming the 60 watt will power the 85 watt fixture????

The OP in that thread said the original supply was 24v 2.25 amps which is only 54w so IDK.

Back