Raising Potassium?

Don, do you have the Kalium kit and have you noticed any difference in your caps since dosing the K+?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8146364#post8146364 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Horace
Don, do you have the Kalium kit and have you noticed any difference in your caps since dosing the K+?

I just started the dosing the K balance on the 11th and I do have the kit. I wont start dosing the K bicarb until I get my ca reactor dialed back a little since my alk is already 11, I need to adjust for the alk change.
I'm really in no rush, this is just a experiment for me. If it does something good for the tank great if not oh well at least I know.
I would like to know what the k balance actually is. I dont think its bicarb since it has no affect on alk, I tested that last night.
If I remember right adding siver nitrate to a solution of K balance and rodi water will show if its chloride. I may try that just to see what happens.

Don

Jake have you found a good deal??? If so I may be interested... let me do some shopping around though first! :p

Don, Please do report back on your findings on the KB...I am quite interested to know what it actually is as well..

Not yet just wondering if I do did anyone want to go in on it. I htink we have looked at the same site as I ame up with the same prices.

I thought the conclusion was that potassium bicarbonate is NOT the way to go for boosting potassium because it boosts alkalinity too much.

You might be able to use it for routine dosing, if you didn't need much.

Potassium chloride would be the way to go for boosting, and potassium sulfate might also be OK.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8153677#post8153677 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
I thought the conclusion was that potassium bicarbonate is NOT the way to go for boosting potassium because it boosts alkalinity too much.

Potassium chloride would be the way to go for boosting, and potassium sulfate might also be OK.

Probably not the best for a quick boost but if you need to dose alk anyways why not?

Don

I think the problem with dosing potassium bicarbonate was too much bicarbonate compared to potassium. An overdose of Alk and the resulting PH swing would come before enough potassium was dosed, but I suppose it would depend on your potassium needs as opposed to your Alk needs.

I think its a given that if and when you start dosing potassium bicarbonate, you would have to stop dosing any other alk supplement. Since I dose the DIY 2part, it would be as easy as switching out the part 1 for the KHC03.....I may have to add a tad of part 1 though during this time.....

however, I agree, it may just be easier to dose the Potassium Chloride to get the K+ where it needs to be, then perhaps use something else to maintain it....

Randy
'

Potassium chloride would be the way to go for boosting

That is about what I posted and also thought that was the conclusion, i.e., boost with potassium chloride then K-bicarb to sup.

I agree with both Randy & Boomer, I will raise the K level with potassium chloride and maintain it with additions of potassium bicarbonate. I still need to find a good grade and price for them both.

I personally wouldn't want to tie potassium dosing to alkalinity dosing. There is no reason to think that dosing potassium bicarbonate won't, in the long run, boost potassium way too high unless you monitor it. However, I was presuming that anyone that was needing potassium had already established some sort of calcium and alkalinity routine. If you like measuring things a lot and changing dosing amounts frequently, it is likely Ok to do. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8157498#post8157498 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
I personally wouldn't want to tie potassium dosing to alkalinity dosing. There is no reason to think that dosing potassium bicarbonate won't, in the long run, boost potassium way too high unless you monitor it. However, I was presuming that anyone that was needing potassium had already established some sort of calcium and alkalinity routine. If you like measuring things a lot and changing dosing amounts frequently, it is likely Ok to do. :)

Anyone using your two part can just swap the two back and fourth. Ive tested the alk change and its identical to either way with your diy two part. Shouldnt be to had to figure out.

Don

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8157278#post8157278 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jake2045
I agree with both Randy & Boomer, I will raise the K level with potassium chloride and maintain it with additions of potassium bicarbonate. I still need to find a good grade and price for them both.

Just be careful and make sure its legal to have where you live. In the county I live it you cant order it or ship it. Also includes the two surounding counties. The stuff has got to be pretty toxic since they use it to kill people on death row so I understand the restriction.

Don

to kill people on death row

Odd that you should post this Don. I just PM Randy on that, as another reefer wanted to know if it was OK to use Barium Chloride to kill Aiptasia ;) He works in a prison, which has a Death Row.

On Death Row it takes more than 100 mg/kg body weight. Barium Chloride is 800-900 mg or ~ 1 gram is fatal

Randy

That PM was in Error. 1 mg should have been 1 g for humans and .5 - 1 g for aquatics :( .

Back