Raising Potassium?

Hi

If u guys knows where can buy the most pure grade Potassium cholride,please post and let me know,Thanks

Randy, if you were to dose this stuff to your tank (not saying you want to :p), what would you use?

Also what is that 4 M KCL? Why are there 3 diff bottles?

Wow that is cheap! $13.44 for an 8lb pail.....

Randy, would it be a good idea to get both Potassium Chloride and Potassium Sulfate and mix the two 50/50 for a more balanced additive?

Hi Randy,

If I was to use this 4M concentration of the KCL as you mentioned can I use the Reef Calculator to figure out dossage strength? what would be the formula/multiplier? You probably want to know what test I'm using for my current K+..unfortunately I'm going for the big guestimate. I hope to bump up my K+ by 40ppm regardless of what it is at..theoretically this should be relatively safe, your thoughts?

From the sounds of it, almost everyone that is testing for K+ is finding thier levels to be quite low....Granted most of those folks are Zeo guys, and that may have something to do with it...though it may not! Given that my salt has ~320ish K+ to start and it should be ~380, its safe to say I am atleast 60ppm low, even if I am not depleteing any K+ which I think it has been shown that it does get depleted.....how fast is the question!

Given that KBalance doesnt indicate the concentration, its pretty hard to say for sure how much is being used. It would be nice to get a good reading based on using Potassium Choloride over time....

4 M KCl is 156,000 ppm potassium. So adding 1% of the tank volume would boost potassium by 156,000 x 0.01 = 1,560 ppm.

Last edited:
4 M KCl is 156,000 ppm potassium. So adding 1% of the tank volume would boost potassium by 156,000 x 0.1 = 1,560 ppm.

Shouldn't the 0.1 be 0.01? (end result is correct, but for people using the calculation for different percentages of tank volume)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8176244#post8176244 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
4 M KCl is 156,000 ppm potassium. So adding 1% of the tank volume would boost potassium by 156,000 x 0.1 = 1,560 ppm.

Does that closely correlate to anything on the calculator that we could use for an easy calculation for various tank sizes etc?

Yes, the 0.1 was a typo. The answer is unchanged. :)

You can use the calculator if you use my Recipe #1 for calcium (37,000 ppm) , and multiply the required volume by 0.24 to get the amount of 4 M KCl to use for a particular rise.

Hi Randy,

In your opinion how safe do you think that 4M HCL from Cole Parmer is to add to the reef?..if I was to use your calculator and add the dosage over let say a week?

BTW: You can order the HCL seperately for $24.37cdn, this includes 2-125ml bottles. The part number is 05992-48

thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8177750#post8177750 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
Yes, the 0.1 was a typo. The answer is unchanged. :)

You can use the calculator if you use my Recipe #1 for calcium (37,000 ppm) , and multiply the required volume by 0.24 to get the amount of 4 M KCl to use for a particular rise.

WOW, according to the calculator it says for my 75g volume, it would require 276ml of that stuff to raise my level 150ppm....That is alot! Given that stuff cost $20 for 300ml.....

Perhaps I should try to buy that 8lb pail for $13???

I guess you get what you pay for. The purity content of the Cole P. stuff is:
30% KCl, 0.01% Triton X-100 and 69.99% water. The 8lb pail could be full of stuff that you don't want.

Hmmmmmm....Starting to think this is not really worth it trying to cheap out.

Anyone else find stuff a bit more pure?

Yea, me too Kurt I think I will just pony up for more K Balance. Sure would have been nice to have found a cheaper alternative, too K B.

Back