Randy, what do you think about this Mg source...

Vincerama2

Hi guys (specifically Randy and other chemical-ites!)

One of our local (SF Bay Area) club members found the following source of Mg Cl in 50lb bags

it says on it Grade: HEXAHYDRATE TECHNICAL FLAKE

and he said the info he has, pending further information from the manufacturer is;

Magnesium Chloride (MgCl2) - 47.40% (Range: 46.2 -48.3)
Hexahydrate (MgCl2.6H20) - 100.00% (Range: 96 -100)
Sulfate (SO4) - 0.30% (Range: <.5)
Potassium (K) - 0.10% (Range: <.7)
Sodium (Na) - 0.45% (Range: <.7)
Calcium (Ca) - 0.15% (Range: .5)
Magnesium Hydroxide (Mg(OH)2) - <.5%
PH: 9 - 10

We're just exploring this as a possible source of MgCl to use as the Mg part of your 3 part dosing solution. In the SF Bay Area it REALLY hard to find the stuff. Shipping from the North Easterns states costs more than the product itself!

I believe the club member works for someplace that has access to a chemical supplier, he's going to try and get more data, but at first glance, what do you think? I see there is already some sulfate in there, but ... I have no idea what I'm talking about.

V

From the articles Randy wrote on magnesium, one of the problems with other brands, besides Dead Sea Works MagFlake, is ammonia.

Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements
"Some grades of magnesium chloride traditionally have been contaminated in ways that would preclude their use in aquarium applications. They sometimes contain ammonia, for example. So any random magnesium chloride brand that's selected may not be acceptable."

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part
"At this time magnesium chloride hexahydrate from the Dead Sea Works is the only such product that I recommend, but others may be acceptable. Choosing other unknown brands may be fine, or not. I've not tested them for purity."

Yes, I think ammonia is a substantial risk. The only material I know to recommend is from the Dead Sea Works, aside from hobby brands. :)

Back