Randy's magnesium mix looks bad?

aleok

I mixed 7 1/4 cups of mag flakes in gallon of freshwater and it looked clear but after adding just the 3/4 cup of epson salt it clouded up, and after letting it sit it becomes separated. I know randy said that there's a calcium byproduct but it seems like a lot. Should I shake it up every time before I use it or just use the clear part?

I also considered filtering it threw a filter sock, but that would probably change the characteristics of the mix.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 0
That's what it does. No big deal. You can either shake it up or stir it just before dosing. I am not even sure if that is necessary ??? But I do it anyway. Don't even notice it when you dose.

I'm not familiar with that particular Randy recipe for MAG, but use the one found HERE.

This particular recipe calls for five cups magnesium chloride to three cups epsom salt. I've found that I get less precipitate if I first dissolve each component separately, and then mix these two solutions together, and qs to one gallon with RO/DI water.

I'm not familiar with that particular Randy recipe for MAG, but use the one found HERE.

This particular recipe calls for five cups magnesium chloride to three cups epsom salt. I've found that I get less precipitate if I first dissolve each component separately, and then mix these two solutions together, and qs to one gallon with RO/DI water.

The recipe the OP quoted would be the one that people who don't use 2-part should use. Like people who kalk dose or run calcium reactors.

The one you quote is the one for 2-part dosers that corrects for the chloride imbalance introduced by the calcium chloride.

Good point though about dissolving them separately. That may indeed help. Heating the solution and shaking it like crazy will help too. Makes for a good workout.

My mg solution (3:5) looks exactly the same despite heating up RODI, preparing the sulphate, chloride parts separately and stirring the solutions like mad (until my arm ached).

Is it OK to dose the clear solution only without stirring the precipitate (calcium sulphate) into the solution before dosing?

Thanks

The precipitate is normal, and I mention it in the article linked above. There is a little calcium in magnesium chloride, and it precipitates as calcium sulfate when mixed with the magnesium sulfate.

It will dissolve in the reef tank, so it is OK to dose it, or not, as you prefer. :)

Back