RapidLED Aurora Build

DodgerBlu,

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by Cob? If you look at entry #26 of this thread I have a picture of the LEDs I used.

cob is chip on board...thought i saw the type but just now went back to see..images arent available..it must be my tapatalk. Ill look on my pc.
Either way very nice build!

I got the Royal Blue supplemental LED's installed and integrated this weekend. They have really added to the tank. Now to sit back and track their effects on the coral. I've backed off of the Aurora's blue channel a bit allowing these to play more of a predominant role. This shot was a little latter in the evening to avoid reflections from the room windows. The corals are starting to close up a bit, however when I arrived home from work everything was fully open and appeared very happy.

Attachments

• 27 April 2015 - RB Add-On LEDs -Sized.jpg
    27 April 2015 - RB Add-On LEDs -Sized.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1
RapidLED Aurora Build

AZ thank you so much for your thread. I was on the fence about whether to go with 3 or 6 dual Aurora pucks on my 210g. Thanks to your build I am going the route you did with the pucks and supplemental. Thank you.

Ps. Setup is ultra sleek and clean nice job mate!

No problem.

You may not need the supplemental, I really think it depends somewhat on your tanks dimensions and depth. The only thing I can honestly say I don't care for as much with the Aurora Pucks is the lack of Neutral White. They decided on Cool White with the ability to use the color channel to bring the full spectrum into the white channel. It does work, and well, but for at least our tank, bringing up the color channel eventually kills the blue channel's ability to keep the spectrum where we like it. I don't like running any channel maxed out, and with the 3' tank depth, I was getting close to it on the blue channel. We can now bring up the color channel to really round out the spectrum and then bring up the supplemental royal blue fixtures to return the presentation color to where it feels more like it does when we're diving.

I'm very happy to say that in the past two weeks we're seeing new coral growth and coloring I'm sure the increased color channel output is assisting with.

Just built my own 50W multi-chip LED fixture and I am looking for ideas for housing the fixture and mounting it. Mind sharing what you did for your multi-chips or could point me to a thread?

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't see your in depth housing pictures on the second page...

AZRippster... Not to nag or anything, but do you have any recent photos. You tank looks gorgeous and I'm curious to see the growth it's had under the LED's.

Kapital,

Thanks for the compliment.

The tank is starting to really settle in now. We're calling Nov 9, 2014 our start date, so we are now sitting at a little over 7 months. Most of the coral have been started from frags thanks to a few good friends, our LFS, and a few online stores. We are just shy of 100 different pieces and all but the very latest have fully encrusted their bases and are now putting out new branch/limb growth. Our zoas and palys are multiplying and the LPS have expanded nicely. Chalice and montipora are spreading, almost too much by some. Admittedly, getting the LED settings were a bit of a pain initially, but I feel we are getting real close now.

I've included the lighting in this this current shot since this is an LED build specific thread. I also included a shot of the tank on Nov 9, 2014 as a comparison. We had just migrated our 180 to this 450. Some of the pieces were traded or sold off, especially the bigger ones.

Attachments

• 9 Nov 14.jpg
    9 Nov 14.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20 June 15.jpg
    20 June 15.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1
Thanks NeverlosT,

The tank is doing great, however I have to admit we're leaning away from an exclusively LED lit setup. I'm getting ready to redesign the lighting to be a hybrid LED/T5 with the T5 primarily over the more shallow areas with the LED punching for the deeper. This will also still allow for sunrise/sunset effects and shimmer. Hopefully by January it will be in use.

How's the redesign coming along?
How are you or were you running your LEDs? Do you have a graph or chart, maybe screenshot of your apex. I'm wondering how others are running theirs with success

Corey

Hey Corey,

The redesign is almost there and I'm about 75% through the build. I'm currently not running the Auroras any longer as they are being integrated into a LED/T5 solution that will be made up of 12 54W T5 and 8 Rapid LED Aurora pucks. I'm currently on MH/T5. Although the Auroras did pretty good, due to shadowing I had to supplement additional multi-chip LEDs. An 8' tank that is 36" deep can have its challenges. I'm guessing within the month or early March I'll have the build completed with some interesting things and helpful tidbits of info to post.

One thing I found a little over a month before taking them offline, my coral responded much better when removing the TIR lenses and cranking them up. Most LEDs, Cree included, are by default 120 degrees. If you look at the new Giesemann Aurora T5 Hybrid (ticks me off they are using that name, but that's a different story), they are not using lenses either. Simply just a puck configuration. My new build will be that way also.

Cheers!

I have 60* optics on mine I think. You are taking the optics off all together? I think that is what Mike sent me. Any pictures of the building of this hybrid system. I have been thinking of incorporating T5 down the road as well.

Corey

Corey,

I think the standard TIR is something like 80 or 90 degrees with the wide angle being somewhere between 110 and 120. Yeah, I took them completely off and things were much better. Everyone's tank is different though. No pics as of yet on my new build, but I'll have a parts list when I post the new setup. I ordered in the actual German parts, to some degree, from a supplier in Germany. They were actually less expensive, to include shipping, than ordering comparable items through Mouser and Digikey. I ordered on a Saturday and had them on the next Wednesday. Crazy awesome. The base T5 fixtures are ATI utilizing the native dimming module, single cable, and Bluefish Mini for LED. I trimmed down the dual puck heatsinks to fit in a 2 T5 lamps space. They fit perfect. I'll try and get a pic posted for ya.

Corey,

To give you an idea, here are the Aurora dual puck heat sinks cut down with mounting brackets that will drop into an ATI fixture.

Russ

Attachments

• Aurora Top HS.jpg
    Aurora Top HS.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Aurora Bottom HS.jpg
    Aurora Bottom HS.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1
Back