RBTA not looking too hot...

MacDime

My RBTA hasnt been looking so good the past few days. My GBTA is looking good and healthy though. I tried feeding it some shrimp the other with no bite. Any ideas???

heres a bout 2 weeks ago

its been 2 weeks that its been acting weird now. it closes up often and has yet to fully open again. Mouth open all the time. Any thoughts???

Has the BTA tried to move at all? If it was an agitator of some kind I assume it would try to move away from it.

Have you added anything new to the tank?

FWIW, IME (and the experiences of others) BTAs do not always get along. I have had BTAs that were doing poorly in a tank with other BTAs, totally revive when placed in a tank by themselves.

nope it hasnt tried to move a bit. And it itself is new to the tank. i think its been in there a little over a month

Based on the condition of your green BTA it looks to me like your GBTA is negatively influencing your new RBTA. BTAs don't always move to what we think are more advantages positions. I have had several move behind rocks and then die from lack of light.

Based on the condition of your GBTA, the conditions in your tank are good enough for a BTA to thrive, yet the newcomer is not. There is nothing obviously wrong with the RBTA, in fact it actually looks OK except that it is not expanding like it should or was originally. That leads me to believe that you have some intra-species competition going on and the RBTA is losing.

My suggestion would be to find a new home for one of your BTAs.

Based on the condition of your green BTA it looks to me like your GBTA is negatively influencing your new RBTA. BTAs don't always move to what we think are more advantages positions. I have had several move behind rocks and then die from lack of light.

Based on the condition of your GBTA, the conditions in your tank are good enough for a BTA to thrive, yet the newcomer is not. There is nothing obviously wrong with the RBTA, in fact it actually looks OK except that it is not expanding like it should or was originally. That leads me to believe that you have some intra-species competition going on and the RBTA is losing.

My suggestion would be to find a new home for one of your BTAs.

thank you very helpful advice!

I've personally had BTA clones not mix well. Maybe try activated carbon and regularly change it out.

Back