Rdsb

jamest0o0

What would you need to add to a RDSB to get it to work properly? Like what kind of living things? I only have the sugar grain arag so I figured I'd need to add something to it?

An RDSB is remote from the food sources necessary to maintain a living (infauna) based sand bed (i.e. not in the main DT) You would be far ahead to run it as an unlit, bucket DSB.

In order to avoid the ridiculous debate that follows giving instructions or opinions concerning the setup, seeding, maturing and long term usage of a critter based sand bed, as opposed to RDSB/Bucket DSB, I will direct you to a primer on sand beds, and suggest that you research as much as possible and pick a solution that suits your needs.

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic59558-13-1.aspx

Regards,

Jim

What do you want the sand bed to do for you and what kind of coral are you planning for this tank? The answer to these questions will determine how to maintain it.

Way down the road I would like to attempt SPS/clams. I was just thinking a bucket like I've seen people do to reduce nitrates.

Way down the road I would like to attempt SPS/clams. I was just thinking a bucket like I've seen people do to reduce nitrates.

Then you don't want a bunch of detritus and critters building up in the sand. Just get some clean dry sand, and filter the water before it's pumped to the bucket. You can simply place the feed pump in the sump just after a filter sock. {100micron}

so only have the sand in it and filter the water going to the bucket?

Exactly. It's the bacteria that reduce nitrate. Not worms, pods, or other critters. If you try to maintain critters in the bucket, you would need to pump phosphate and nitrogen containing organic matter to the bucket to feed them. Then the worms, pods, and other critters liquefy the organic matter releasing nitrogenous waste and phosphate into the water. There it can flow back to the display where it fuels algae blooms and shuts down stony coral growth. Kinda defeats your purpose.

Back