Rebuild and recovery of a dead tank

There's actually only one splitter in that entire mess. It's to connect two heaters to my ranco. There are several piggy back plugs for pressure switches and a big float switch used as safety failsafe.

Dude I lol'd so hard when I saw your power plant of a wire system resting on your rodi unit.

You should feed the wires into some pvc to shield it from water. Just run a pvc tube thru table saw to cut a slit allowing you to slide the wires in without unplugging everything.

House fires are bad. Been thru 2 myself. Both electrical.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Let's see.

Each EB8 power bar is connected to a separate GFCI circuit.

Outlets and what's plugged directly into them

GyreL_3_1 ] ( 3_1 ) power supply maxspect gyre left side of tank

[ open_3_2 ] ( 3_2 )

[ open_3_3 ] ( 3_3 )

[ open_3_4 ] ( 3_4 )

[ LEDB_3_5 ] ( 3_5 ) power strip three display tank led fixtures connected to it turning on and off the blue LEDs

[ open_3_6 ] ( 3_6 )

[ open_3_7 ] ( 3_7 )

[ open_3_8 ] ( 3_8 )

[ ATSPump_6_1 ] ( 6_1 ) Rio pump feeding ATS

[ ATSLED_6_2 ] ( 6_2 ) to power strip that ATS LEDs are plugged into

[ DrainDJ_6_3 ] ( 6_3 ) maxi jet pump in skimmate bucket to drain it.

[ ATO_6_4 ] ( 6_4 ) Tsunami AT1 pressure switch controlled Outlet. Maxi jet plugged into that Outlet.

[ MixPump_6_5 ] ( 6_5 ) maxi jet sitting at the bottom of my saltmix container only turned on while mixing in new salt

[ Reactor_6_6 ] ( 6_6 ) maxi jet sitting in sump feeding GAC/GFO reactor when needed

[ NewSalt_6_7 ] ( 6_7 ) Tsunami AT1 pressure switched Outlet. Maxi jet plugged into it sitting at bottom of saltmix container pumping out new saltwater as needed.

[ AWC_6_8 ] ( 6_8 ) Large float switch in new saltmix container. Tsunami at1 pressure switched Outlet plugged into that. Spectrapure liter meter III used for automatic water changes plugged into that.

[ return_7_1 ] ( 7_1 ) mag 1800 return pump

[ Ranco_7_2 ] ( 7_2 ) ranco temp controller. Splitter plugged into ranco Outlet. Two heaters plugged into splitter.

[ Lime_7_3 ] ( 7_3 ) spectrapure standalone peristaltic pump used to dose limewater.

[ Vinegar_7_4 ] ( 7_4 ) BRS 1.1 ml/m dosing pump for carbon dosing.

[ skimmer_7_5 ] ( 7_5 ) skimmer pump

[ Swabbie_7_6 ] ( 7_6 ) skimmer neck cleaner

[ open_7_7 ] ( 7_7 )

[ Ozone_7_8 ] ( 7_8 ) ozone generator

[ GyreR_8_1 ] ( 8_1 ) maxspect gyre right side of tank powersupply

[ open_8_2 ] ( 8_2 )

[ open_8_3 ] ( 8_3 )

[ open_8_4 ] ( 8_4 )

[ LEDW_8_5 ] ( 8_5 ) power strip three display tank led fixtures connected to it turning on and off the white LEDs

[ open_8_6 ] ( 8_6 )

[ open_8_7 ] ( 8_7)

[ open_8_8 ] ( 8_8 )

Along with those piggy back switches ive got many other switches connected to the Apex BoB. Then also several probes. Both adding to the wire mess.

I've somehow collected many maxijet pumps over the years. I have another one sitting on a shelf too.

Dude I lol'd so hard when I saw your power plant of a wire system resting on your rodi unit.

You should feed the wires into some pvc to shield it from water. Just run a pvc tube thru table saw to cut a slit allowing you to slide the wires in without unplugging everything.

House fires are bad. Been thru 2 myself. Both electrical.

Yep, I totally agree. I keep planning on getting to cleaning up the wires. As you can see it just keeps getting added too.

It won't be anything like that with the new sump room build out. I've started labeling all the cables with a cable labeler in preparation. I've got a few ideas with a plywood power center.

And looking at the picture what's on that rodi is a BoB connected pressure switch from avast marine (extremely low voltage) and a temporary killowatt with my skimmer plugged into it.

Holy buckets. That's a lot of equipment.

I have had a brs rodi unit "pop" on me, the gasket in the ro membrane gave loose, and gave a steady spray straight up in the air.

Honestly I wish my setup was as amazing as yours, I just know first hand how bad a situation can get. Murphys law will always find a way, so it's up to us to prevent as many weak links as possible.

I should also add, both house fires I was in, we're total losses. Totalling $1.3 million combined.

Insurance company wasn't too happy.

Holy buckets. That's a lot of equipment.

I have had a brs rodi unit "pop" on me, the gasket in the ro membrane gave loose, and gave a steady spray straight up in the air.

Honestly I wish my setup was as amazing as yours, I just know first hand how bad a situation can get. Murphys law will always find a way, so it's up to us to prevent as many weak links as possible.

I should also add, both house fires I was in, we're total losses. Totalling $1.3 million combined.

Insurance company wasn't too happy.

That really sucks. I lost my entire house and it's belongings to a flood in 2008. Beginning of this thread was right after that actually.

I agree this is a terrible setup wiring wise. The RODI unit will stay in that room and move over along the wall where the sump is now. I'm so excited to get the new area built out and have the space to spread out and get organized.

Yeah having everything taken from you sucks beyond all belief.

First fire was a tv malfunctioning and catching the wall it was hanging on on fire.

Second was a lightning strike that caught a pine tree on fire right next to the house which then caught the siding on fire.

Maybe I should just take the hint and live in a Cobb house. Dirt doesn't ignite.

Wow both freak accidents.

In my situation when we bought the house I specifically looked at the flood plain maps to make sure that house wasn't in a flood plain which it wasn't at that time. Not in the 100 or 500 year flood plain zones.

Our neighborhood had zero warning too. The flooding was happening and had already hit many in the city we lived in but we didn't think we had to worry at all. It turns out the flood gauges were broken and they were only estimating a few inches per hour rise for a few days after they thought it was near peaked.

The river decided to increase several feet per hour setting record levels by the hour until our house was under water and foundation caved in.

We had enough time to run home, pack a suitcase, and the roads in front of our house started filling up and we took off.

That's what prompted this thread title. My wife talked me into restating my 55g tank in 2009. It's been upgraded to the 180 I have now in 2011 but everything transfered over to it.

Took a kayak out to the house later that day after we took off. It still had not peaked yet and went up several more feet. There's a couple small trees, big bushes,and a big above ground pool in that backyard you can't see.

9e188c3f98cf5082c58b8828754dd104.jpg

After a few weeks we were able to go back but our house had a big X on it because of the extensive damage. Entire front of the foundation caved in and parts of both sides as well. The entire back of the foundation was cracked and bowed in. A super awesome construction crew that builds bridges came out and shored up our house so we could get in temporarily to see what we might be able to salvage. Which was nothing.

That water was so toxic everything was rusted, mold, melted, etc. This was in June and 100 degree weather with the house shut up with damp filled with water basement was not good for anything.

We got up to the second floor and the walls were moldy and bubbling even the top half not in the water. Complete loss.

Wife talked me into pulling this out. That car I got from my grandpa was gone and was a loss.

638b12b77e22dfdb7b4deda67cb16eda.jpg

c87fffc34984090cbeff999d028b5fa4.jpg

About a year later we were finally in another home we owned and she talked me into taking the 55g out of storage and set it up. I sanded down the stand and restained it. Luckily it was solid wood that was sealed before. So amazing it wasn't warped.

a8ffd002ca571e24b8ea08770318f969.jpg

Last edited:
Good on you, and I'm happy you all made it out safely.

I'm happy you have a wife that supports your hobby, and I'm happy you've decided to give it another try, especially after such a loss.

This is truly a hobby with rewards for those who understand it's importance. In the the few years we are going to be the only source keeping these species alive.

The reefs are dying, and for those of us who do the proper diligence of maintaining a healthy reef, we keep the things we love alive.

Happy reefing my friend. I'm following.

Thanks. I it's my small slice of the reef. It will never be a tank of the month and I don't want it to be. I like wavy things like the anemones and fish.

I will warn you the sump room build out will not happen quickly. I have so many other home and work projects going on at the same time. I do hope to have the sump room done in the next couple months.

Going to do a quick 1 month experiment with marine pure ceramic 4"x8"x8" block.

I'm the poster child for ADD and curiosity killed the cat. This hobby is just to much fun as there's so much to play with.

I'm not going to see how it effects my nutrients (N and P). As unless I messed something up, I don't think I've had issues with those since 2010 after I got into feeding bacteria a carbon source.

What I'm looking for is how much Aluminum will be in my tank after the 1st month. I won't know what form it will be in, if it's truly fully inert or not, but just that it's present. I will also be keeping an eye on my yellow Fiji leather and red mushrooms.

I think it's a perfect time for me to do this as my ATS died on me a few weeks ago. I am building out a new sump room and will bring it back online then. So, I know it won't uptake anything. I don't run GFO so it won't uptake any of it. I do have it and poly filters on hand at all times for those just incase situations.

I did put some GAC online a few days ago but will take it offline as well so I know it won't possibly uptake any Al. I will also keep my ozone generator offline.

I will continue to carbon dose, continue skimming, and continue daily ~1% automatic water changes. Those have been my core import/export mechanisms since around that 2010 time frame.

I have had possibly some trace amounts of Al in my system as detected by Triton.

I did a round of basic tests tonight and sending off a sample to Triton. I should have the block in tomorrow. After the block has been in my system for 30 days I'll send off another water sample to Triton.

If I get results back showing Al up to that set point amount in either before or after results I would not be surprised nor contribute it to the marine pure ceramic blocks.

This is also a good time for me to send off a sample to Triton. After all this testing I've been doing the past several months I had to get all new Salifert Ca, alk, and Mg kits. This will just give me a good quick cross check before I go back to testing multiple salt brands.

The tests from tonight
Salinity:
Apex 34.7
Veegee: 34+
Triton (calculated):

Temp: 79.7
pH: 8.22

Ca:
API: 480
Salifert: 475
Triton:

Alk:
API: 11
Hanna: 11.2
Salifert: 11.2

Mg:
Salifert: 1380
Triton:

Nitrates:
Red Sea Pro: 0
Salifert: 0
API: 0

PO4:
Hanna 736 ULR: 3ppb / 0.009198 ppm converted
Triton:

Side note: I'm also testing for Hanna Alk checker accuracy with what's supposed to be a bad reagent bottle. It's also been stored laying on its side which is supposed to be the worse for it. Seems accurate so far.

Last edited:
Back