Rebuild and recovery of a dead tank

Took a quick reading of the air draw of the mag1800 and stock venturi setup on the mtx.

Its steadily getting between 14-16 scfh air draw. This shouldn't change as it breaks in. I don't plan to touch anything for a couple weeks. I don't expect it to be broke in before that.

Looks like I'll have to get the swabbie on this skimmer sooner then later. The water/bubbles have risen up the tube as it breaks in. I didn't expect it to get this far up so quickly. You can see the line it started at and stayed there for the past couple days.

9d0e39b25019a2663b410eff87227005.jpg

The pump sits in about 9.5" of water.

Along with the neck cleaner I still need to setup the ranco and heaters. And bring over the Turbo ATS which I have to pull the pump apart still and hope it just needs cleaned out.

Then the dreaded wire management to clean up the spaghetti.

Dang man, you are doing a stand up job. I follow this thread every time you post. So almost every day.

Can't wait to see it when it's complete!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I definitely need to get that neck cleaner moved over tonight as there's that little hole on top already. There's already a nice thick foam head moving its way up.

4de13a9067eaecabc14aaefa10a14650.jpg

Water level right at the flange
1df284a22c57a4bde1a6d752390ca9dd.jpg

I have a video uploading now and will post once it's done.

I have been following along and finally figured out how the thread subscription thing works! Thanks for sharing!

Oh.. that neck cleaner pic made me queezy..

I have been following along and finally figured out how the thread subscription thing works! Thanks for sharing!

Oh.. that neck cleaner pic made me queezy..
You should have seen the sump I just emptied out. The stench was terrible and detritus turned to mud. It was awesome. I was going to take pictures but my hands were not going near anything I cared to keep until I washed them.

Ok, I'm so looking forward to trying out the waveline and possibly be proved wrong about the mag18 being underpowered for this skimmer.

I'm pretty darn impressed with what this skimmer is doing only a few days into it with the mag18. I checked the air draw again and its right about 14scfh.

Crazy what so little air draw can do with enough contact time.
3763407db85d8c404fd430e53412ff77.jpg

Almost half gallon pulled so far since it was able to raise the foam head up the neck. I think 2 days worth now. Not bad for just breaking in.
cfac64b70a5d2125e45d7e4f6c4e4f78.jpg

Oh, and I have my spectrapure AWC setback up now on the new sump. I also recalibrated it as the line lengths were changed and it did alter their settings.

I think all I have left to move over is the ATS and ranco with heaters. Then what I'm not looking forward to doing. Cleanup.

The Turbo Aquatics ATS L3 is going to fit perfectly on top of the sump. No extra supports needed.

The pump that just stopped running just needed some TLC. Overnight soak in some vinegar cleaned it all up.

The pump and its main bottom drain are in the sumps first section where the display drains into. The. It straddles over the middle and the emergency overflow drain is in the return section. So far this sump design is working out exactly as planned. Very happy.

Now I just need to make the wiring to the drivers longer and get it all plugged in.

6a11ebcad4c2a06f38e49fa70098a52e.jpg

2eaec98b33f7eba10236a02e527aa164.jpg

In just 4 days from start up the MTC MVX skimmer seems to be broken in and producing like a champ.

I definitely need to get that neck cleaner moved over tonight as there's that little hole on top already. There's already a nice thick foam head moving its way up.

4de13a9067eaecabc14aaefa10a14650.jpg

Water level right at the flange
1df284a22c57a4bde1a6d752390ca9dd.jpg

I have a video uploading now and will post once it's done.

Video done

http://youtu.be/VhHGtrLpedc

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VhHGtrLpedc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ok, I'm so looking forward to trying out the waveline and possibly be proved wrong about the mag18 being underpowered for this skimmer.

I'm pretty darn impressed with what this skimmer is doing only a few days into it with the mag18. I checked the air draw again and its right about 14scfh.

Crazy what so little air draw can do with enough contact time.
3763407db85d8c404fd430e53412ff77.jpg

Almost half gallon pulled so far since it was able to raise the foam head up the neck. I think 2 days worth now. Not bad for just breaking in.
cfac64b70a5d2125e45d7e4f6c4e4f78.jpg

So, June 2nd I turn it on and set the water level initially just over half way up the body as seen by the ring in the video and by June 3 the water level had risen to what seems to be the perfect height right at the flange.

June 3rd starting to get the foam head up to the lip of the collection cup.

And now just 3 days later...its like its been in my system for years.
79fa5f4ec85e8a656506abdc067fed3e.jpg

97b1a56b5e81aa345a32b4b8bf813e8d.jpg

Let there be light
bfbd3bfac31b0070fbd92066c4918800.jpg

I had some 14-2 wire around and used it to extend the length of the ATS LED driver wiring.
a574c920eeefc730678d9ce97294090f.jpg

Now I have to go back and read my and more importantly Bud's posts on how to get this going again. I notice the screen is all kinds of warped though. Probably from getting baked.

Even if people aren't replying, know that we are watching.

If people are like me, we are in awe of how good of a job you are doing.

The pic above, is that a pic of the led from top down?

Is that a clear plexi slot in the housing, or is it a non mech heat sink?

I work in a television studio/s and we have to modify lights all day every day, most of the time due to heat buildup. We run 24/7 so our lights (mostly led) are constantly being modified to accommodate heat.

Even if people aren't replying, know that we are watching.

If people are like me, we are in awe of how good of a job you are doing.

The pic above, is that a pic of the led from top down?

Is that a clear plexi slot in the housing, or is it a non mech heat sink?

I work in a television studio/s and we have to modify lights all day every day, most of the time due to heat buildup. We run 24/7 so our lights (mostly led) are constantly being modified to accommodate heat.

Thanks! I hope this site never goes away as almost my entire reef keeping history has been logged in this thread since 2009. I refer back many times to see trends or things I've done or pictures I've taken. I hope others can get something out of it even if it's what not to do.

That algae turf scrubber is made by Turbo's Aquatics and is his Rev. 3 version. He's got a Rev. 4 out now too. It is a picture from the top down with the top off.

Here's a video series he put together covering the Rev 3 version. I have the L3 size.
https://www.algaescrubbing.com/threads/video-overview-of-the-turbo-hf-rev-3-algae-scrubber.384/

The MTC MVX has passed the LRS test. Every skimmer I've had in the past will overflow when ever I have tried LRS Reef or Fish frenzy.

I got some and thawed out a good sized chunk last night. The skimmer didn't react differently at all. It didn't overflow or flatten out its foam production.

Back