Rebuild and recovery of a dead tank

One thing I noticed that could be helpful that wasn't planned is the depth of the water the MTC MVX skimmer runs in now places the venturi under water at all times.

When the return is turned off automatically for feedings several times through out the day so does the skimmer and the air line fills with water. When the return and then skimmer turns on that water is sucked out and air is drawn. Will see if this can eliminate or greatly reduce venturi maintenance.

I have concerns about salt creep still but ca1ore flushes his venturi out with a nifty automatic device he rigged up with saltwater.

I still need to check air draw and watts used now the skimmer is in 14-15" of water vs 7-8" it was in before. My guess is both have gone down. Now I want to try out the 784mazzei again. It had higher air draw numbers and flow was a lot more as lots of microbubbles where leaving the skimmer. With my setup now there's no chance for those microbubbles to reach the return pump. That skimmer area first baffle pushes them right to the top and the return is pulling from the bottom.

afb97e0d5fc86a28746e7232cc14733e.jpg

59e8ad6cedff601228765fb9f721a0e2.jpg

Short video of the skimmer in its new location

Posted in the MTC Skimmer club thread

Some new numbers with the 784 mazzei running at full speed in around 15" of water. Definitely still a lot of flow and tons of microbubbles exiting the skimmer. <br />
<br />
Not a good setup if you don't have a good bubble trap setup. On my previous trigger system sump there wasn't a triple baffle and the microbubbles went through. On my new sump with triple baffles and the fact they are so tall and my skimmer section single baffle that forces them all to the surface and the triple baffles draws from the bottom initially those microbubbles do not come close to making it to my return pump. <br />
<br />
Air draw: ~24scfh<br />
Watts used: 146watts<br />
<br />
https://youtu.be/zpTaQfI3MeY<br />
<br />
Before with running in around 7-8" of water. <br />
Waveline DC 12000 @ Level 11 w/ 784 mazzei<br />
Air draw: ~26scfh<br />
Max head height: 22.96'<br />
Watts: rated: 150watts (w/ adapter) 139watts (after adapter) actual: 150wattts (w/ adapter)

Trying out a couple new temp controllers. .1 degree control and dual stage. Seems and feels like good quality and I like the design.

777a046502e3d1739a7401c64ecf39e5.jpg

93026c212bf43cf1ae6bcced90564cae.jpg

I'm pretty impressed with the quality of that Bayite temp controller. The relays in it are robust and commercial quality. Just under $60 off Amazon and it can do a lot.

It was really pretty simple to setup and found it can do a lot. More then I will need it for. It can do a differential from the set value from .1 degree on up. It also handles alarms high and low temp and delay on for compressors.

The temp reading seems spot on with the Ranco which only has a resolution of 1 degree. The bayite was reading 79.1, Ranco (both of them) 79, and Apex 79.3.

For dual stage it will work towards what ever the set point is and deviation. Automatically swiching between heating and cooling.

If you don't have an aquarium controller or you want a redundant heater controller this is another option out there like the inkbirds.

Bottom reading is the set value and top is the actual value. And led to show if its cooling or heating.
d25100ac9637c7e5c679cd9da4446696.jpg

The manual goes over a few scenarios and the quick start is a heating only setup.
74935ef98ff794e284187f846507c6f3.jpg

b9d9f728784e1d25f2a30051b44ebded.jpg

Thanks, I'm loving it and its satisfying my need to keep tinkering. Before I'd just keep buying new skimmers.

I did swap back in the 684 mazzei as it just seems the 784 creates to much flow for that body. If it was taller I think it would be better. The more air draw is great but I feel the increased flow is to much. The foam head up top in the neck was more volatile with the 784. I still plan to play with a dual venturi setup.

Upgraded my DI stages last night. Replaced 3x 10"x2.5" housings with 2x 20"x2.5" housings. I found out a single 20" refillable cartridge holds more by about a quarter pound or so then 2x 10" refillable cartridges. This should last quite a long time time as I swap the 2nd cartridge to the first rotation like I was doing with the 3x 10" stages.

46cd4b41837575650e1765d7617e9067.jpg

Also, I did that in part to get ready for this

http://www.buckeyehydro.com/the-gapper-light-commercial-ro-system/

And I have to say thanks to buckeye hydro's rep on here for answering many questions I had. Very helpful.

The Gapper is basically a commercial RO unit that's actually well under a grand and is complete with everything you need for an RO setup. Booster pump, solenoids, auto flush, etc. I've found some commercial RO units just under a grand but it would lack many things that would actually make them a complete setup. Seems like complete commercial units usually start around 2 grand! It is just RO though so went ahead and used it as an excuse to upgrade my DI stages too. :)

I'm pretty exited as over the years since 2009 I've upgraded little by little the basic 5 stage ro/di I've had and the Gapper is definitely the next step up.

400gph, 1 to 1 waste ratio, 98.5+ rejection, auto flush, and solenoid shutoff are some of whats missing that I have now. I also love that 400gpd is a single membrane to replace which will actually be cheaper than the 2 150gpd membranes I have now.

Which are due to be replaced by next year. Which this is pretty early in my replacement cycle. Will see if I can stretch this membrane to the next year divisible by 3. I also should be able to replace the bigger 20x2.5" carbon blocks once a year instead of the every 6 months I preemptively replace the 10" blocks. I'll put those on a mid year replacement cycle of every June. Again, a few months past for the next replacement should be ok. I'll do some chlorine tests next year when it gets past the actual year mark when they go in service.

Hopefully will have the Gapper in the next couple weeks. I did have to also upgrade my supply line since the Gapper uses 3/8"OD tubing. My current setup uses 1/4" OD tubing from a saddle valve. Buckeye Hydro highly recommends not using a saddle valve even for standard residential RODI units. And especially not for commercial type units like the Gapper which they call a light commercial unit.

I started a thread on this because it was surprising how much more running pressure I was able to get switching off the saddle valve. Almost 20psi

From this
614f77627134c10d0e20f4834dea45f5.jpg

74psi
6fdc5eb13ef00265efe134eb06bda5b3.jpg

To this
0978f687b0f4669bbc461e3b09d530f5.jpg

92psi
6fb50be2a6f93fda448a88088d825476.jpg

Also, I did that in part to get ready for this

http://www.buckeyehydro.com/the-gapper-light-commercial-ro-system/

And I have to say thanks to buckeye hydro's rep on here for answering many questions I had. Very helpful.

The Gapper is basically a commercial RO unit that's actually well under a grand and is complete with everything you need for an RO setup. Booster pump, solenoids, auto flush, etc. I've found some commercial RO units just under a grand but it would lack many things that would actually make them a complete setup. Seems like complete commercial units usually start around 2 grand! It is just RO though so went ahead and used it as an excuse to upgrade my DI stages too. :)

I'm pretty exited as over the years since 2009 I've upgraded little by little the basic 5 stage ro/di I've had and the Gapper is definitely the next step up.

400gph, 1 to 1 waste ratio, 98.5+ rejection, auto flush, and solenoid shutoff are some of whats missing that I have now. I also love that 400gpd is a single membrane to replace which will actually be cheaper than the 2 150gpd membranes I have now.

Which are due to be replaced by next year. Which this is pretty early in my replacement cycle. Will see if I can stretch this membrane to the next year divisible by 3. I also should be able to replace the bigger 20x2.5" carbon blocks once a year instead of the every 6 months I preemptively replace the 10" blocks. I'll put those on a mid year replacement cycle of every June. Again, a few months past for the next replacement should be ok. I'll do some chlorine tests next year when it gets past the actual year mark when they go in service.

Hopefully will have the Gapper in the next couple weeks. I did have to also upgrade my supply line since the Gapper uses 3/8"OD tubing. My current setup uses 1/4" OD tubing from a saddle valve. Buckeye Hydro highly recommends not using a saddle valve even for standard residential RODI units. And especially not for commercial type units like the Gapper which they call a light commercial unit.

I started a thread on this because it was surprising how much more running pressure I was able to get switching off the saddle valve. Almost 20psi

From this
614f77627134c10d0e20f4834dea45f5.jpg

74psi
6fdc5eb13ef00265efe134eb06bda5b3.jpg

To this
0978f687b0f4669bbc461e3b09d530f5.jpg

92psi
6fb50be2a6f93fda448a88088d825476.jpg

Wow, that's a great RO system. How much water do you make?

I upgraded my BRS 4 stage basic to the 6 stage plus and water saver. I make from 55-150 gallons a week and I find it fills those needs well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let see.

2.6 gallons/day AWC on 180 (~72.8g/month)
4 gallons per week water change on my 20g mantis tank. (I have no other filtration on it just water changes). (~16g/month)

25 gallons about every 2 weeks for limewater dosing (~5g/month)

Around 20g per week ATO on main tank
1g top of on mantis tank (84g/month)

2 gallons per week between two beta tanks in kids rooms 8g/month)

Around 5-10 gallons a week in miscellaneous things like rinsing of or cleaning things (~40g/month)

And funny thing is its that miscellaneous and smaller gallon stuff stuff I'm always wishing the RO output was faster.

So looks like a rough guess of at least 226 gallons per month.

The big things I'm looking forward to is the auto flush, 1 to 1 waste ratio, and the very high rejection rate.

My system right now is about 4:1 waste and about 96-98 rejection rate. That will be a big savings in water usage and DI usage. The DI being the bigger of the cost but the water reduction will be good environmentally.

The next big pluses to me will be that I will only need to swap out a single membrane and reduce the pre filter change out to once a year. The cost on the prefilters is a wash but the single membrane will be slightly cheaper and easier.

And I'll be able to fill up my 5 gallon and smaller containers on the fly faster.

Let see.

2.6 gallons/day AWC on 180 (~72.8g/month)
4 gallons per week water change on my 20g mantis tank. (I have no other filtration on it just water changes). (~16g/month)

25 gallons about every 2 weeks for limewater dosing (~5g/month)

Around 20g per week ATO on main tank
1g top of on mantis tank (84g/month)

2 gallons per week between two beta tanks in kids rooms 8g/month)

Around 5-10 gallons a week in miscellaneous things like rinsing of or cleaning things (~40g/month)

And funny thing is its that miscellaneous and smaller gallon stuff stuff I'm always wishing the RO output was faster.

The big things I'm looking forward to is the auto flush, 1 to 1 waste ratio, and the very high rejection rate.

My system right now is about 4:1 waste and about 96-98 rejection rate. That will be a big savings in water usage and DI usage. The DI being the bigger of the cost but the water reduction will be good environmentally.

The next big pluses to me will be that I will only need to swap out a single membrane and reduce the pre filter change out to once a year. The cost on the prefilters is a wash but the single membrane will be slightly cheaper and easier.

And I'll be able to fill up my 5 gallon and smaller containers on the fly faster.

Sure has several key benefits especially if your water is expensive. I lived in a house that had very expensive water and an upgrade like this could pay for its self if you make a lot of water like I do. Now I don't have to pay for water.

Sure has several key benefits especially if your water is expensive. I lived in a house that had very expensive water and an upgrade like this could pay for its self if you make a lot of water like I do. Now I don't have to pay for water.

That's awesome. My water isn't very expensive and bill usually runs around $50-60 per month which doesn't include trash pickup. That's separate and ran independently here. I would just prefer not to waste so much water if I didn't have too. We have had a drought and water restrictions here once before since I've been here but that's not normal.

Last leg to my rodi reservoir upgraded to 3/8" tubing and float valve. Ready for the Gapper which has been shipped!

f9a4c626d3506f00eb98bb27e61518a0.jpg

Note to self, have a bucket ready when removing the ro housing end cap... lol

And now running for 60 minutes after rinsing all the other stages out.

All setup
5b2d410d6070d86586f03320e95dfc64.jpg

I'm hoping I have this right and seems to work. As soon as I closed a valve the entire system stops. Pretty awesome
225d9aaad585c1b5ed4568f4dddb4ad6.jpg

I did make one modification which will be for when I change out a prefilter and need to rinse it out with out it going to the RO stage. Or drain things out better... (edit: thinking about it now I need to move that post booster pump just before the membrane)

20045a0e8d6fdf20546628bc8711202d.jpg

What is the purpose of that new addition to your RODI system?

Also, how bad was your water to justify using such a huge rodi system?

Or was it built for volume?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Nothing to do with the water quality per say. There's several reason's I went with this unit. Water volume used is one.

Quote from a post above but also to add to below another plus is since I have a larger volume of water if there's ever another bad emergency where I need to make a lot of quick water changes the faster production speed is of great benifit. Like a couple years ago mildew remover got into my tank and wiped out all corals and other inverts and ammonia spikes were starting to kill off my fish.

The next big pluses to me will be that I will only need to swap out a singlex membrane and reduce the pre filter change out to once a year. The cost on the prefilters is a wash but the single membrane will be slightly cheaper and easier.

Back