Rebuild and recovery of a dead tank

Or doesn't Floyd sell just the screens?

Corey
Bleach would be fine. 30 minute soak and then rinse I would imagine would do it. And yes, Bud could get you just the screen. This one is still in good shape though. I just wanted to make sure you're aware of the source and what I've seen under the microscope.

I can soak in bleach and then rinse.

I'm really hoping it will help my turf algae (if that's even what it is....)

Corey

attachment.php

Vinegar...you have to get rid of any encrustation, then (optionally) apply the mortar coating (skip to 6:40). 1 day in the tub sandwiched in wax paper and paper towels, then 2-6 days in water, good to go

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gxlWkBf_oUA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If he wanted to keep the mortar intact though bleach shouldn't impact it right? But bleach would certainly attack any organics like the dinos if there's any left.

I suppose, but the mortar is usually gone within a few months, so nuking the screen would usually mean you have to re-apply. Getting all the caked on white encrustation off involves a stiff brush and several soaks in vinegar.

That's what I had to do after accidentally cooking the screen (pump fail, lights on)

I have my old screen to that got baked. I've had it between some books to hopefully flatten it out. But I think the mortar screen is still good but would soak in some bleach.

To let you know as well, in case you didn't see my post on it, I spliced in some 14/2 wiring to extend the length of the led power supply placement to the ATS.

I have it all boxed up now and if you still want it you can PM me. Used the same box the L8 came in with fragile stickers plastered all over it . ;)

I think its all there. Even have the spare orings still that I didn't use.
bfaa7ccf047168ea13d2ec8d7231a6b3.jpg
21f2e713ba10110ae2e1589635064b65.jpg
78ea9fe1f192a8d83c7817ec81c7d704.jpg
bdb99f5fd3a0f8770ff26ccdb6d9de7b.jpg
d036f878b91e5da61f6143e661d6dabd.jpg

New Turbo's Aquatics Rev4 L8 has been running about two weeks now. Time for the first swipe. I just added 2 hours to the light period from 8pm to 12pm with knobs at about 5 o'clock

6da1cfa9140d06e2c679b74c10a7bdaa.jpg

About 2 week mark again. Pulled the screen and it's getting some good attachment. Going to up the photo period another hour.

5968a6a75ecc2a47a64738c7642d95c9.jpg
40c5cded60b934d45685ff6c90657f17.jpg
e68abcd4ea0ae6f907be97e169584aae.jpg

With larger tanks that are heavily fed, there is more of a "nutrient sink" available. Also, the fact that you were already running a scrubber on the tank means a brand new screen is more likely to start up faster.

I think that in your specific case here, you can extend hours as munch as you want, there's no signs of potential photosaturation here, the nutrient sink concept helps you avoid that as well. You can probably bump up intensity as well.

So I assume 8pm to 12pm means 8pm-noon, i.e. 16 hours/day? Go to 20, bump intensity to 4 o'clock. That's assuming that you have measurable nutrients, or you are feeding a lot

Thought I replied to that. I have it up to I think 18 hours now and moved the dial to 4 o'clock. I do feed a lot everyday.

Getting filled in very nicely. Definitly felt the weight this time. Still a lot not fully attached so I wouldn't say its matured yet. I've bumped up the flow and the light to 20 hours.

4820241306b1d2d44814c586cd3ea651.jpg

Bro, simply read RC rules again. No sense complaining about it. Like the staff told you, if you are not satisfied simply move on.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my tank since I last posted. Well, last before the previous post. I have not touched anything. Other then add food and refill some water. Everything else has been on complete auto pilot.

I am interested to see what the ATS looks like. It has been running the previous schedule with 0 cleanings or removal. Ha!

Life has been hell between highly important work projects and home projects and family time. I have also been working on getting back into my other passion of powerlifting having been laid off from it since injuring my back severely twice in 2014 and 2016. I had to cut down on something and it was unfortunately these reefer things. As I decided I needed my tank to just clear my mind for the time being and not for crowding it.

I'm back on track with my lifting and one work project is coming to a close soon but have two other major ones still on going but they are awesome and exciting. Home projects are never ending especially with summer coming up.

I am looking forward to getting my tank back under the microscope though.

Back