Recommendation for sand bed cleaner (fish)?

razord

Hello,
I'm looking at possibly adding a Diamond Watchman Goby to my tank to keep the sand bed looking clean in my 55g. Curious everyone's thoughts on this as an option? Or am I better off just using snails?

Hello,
I'm looking at possibly adding a Diamond Watchman Goby to my tank to keep the sand bed looking clean in my 55g. Curious everyone's thoughts on this as an option? Or am I better off just using snails?
I'm currently running bare bottom. But if I went back to a sand bed, I would have a Diamond Goby back in there. You also need to get it eating other foods like pellets and or Mysis shrimp or they will starve. These are the snails I used in my sand bed. They're awesome too.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+526+1763&pcatid=1763

In the long haul it still comes down to good husbandry on your part to keep the bed siphoned and cleaned but those are awesome fish and snails to watch do their job.

If you get the Diamond he'll stir that bed up like nobodies business and sediment will be floating around and being caught by your filters but over time he''ll have all the fine dust a gone for a crystal clear tank even while he's sifting.

I'm currently running bare bottom. But if I went back to a sand bed, I would have a Diamond Goby back in there. You also need to get it eating other foods like pellets and or Mysis shrimp or they will starve. These are the snails I used in my sand bed. They're awesome too.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+526+1763&pcatid=1763

In the long haul it still comes down to good husbandry on your part to keep the bed siphoned and cleaned but those are awesome fish and snails to watch do their job.

If you get the Diamond he'll stir that bed up like nobodies business and sediment will be floating around and being caught by your filters but over time he''ll have all the fine dust a gone for a crystal clear tank even while he's sifting.

+1 - love my Diamond Goby. He readily eats mysis as well. Tank was pretty cloudy for the first week or so - but by now he's kicked up all the fine stuff.

Yellow watchman is a little less prone to disturb the tank. Diamond is a shade too much for a 55.

This. ^^^

Those Gobies will move some sand around for you, but they're definitely not cleaning it for you.
+1 back at ya

I'm running high flow bare bottom.

Do 15% weekly water changes.

During the water changes I still have to vacuum out detritus in a couple of dead spot areas on bottom of tank.

Diamond watchmen jump like crazy in my experience so be careful. Before mine bit the dust I picked him up off the floor three times and I have a lid. I've since just used snails and it's been alright. One small fighting conch would be good for your system.

A cucumber is a good choice for keeping the sand bed clean... dirty in..poops out clean :)

+1 on the cucumber. I've got both a Diamond Watchman Goby and a cucumber. I never see the goby and can't tell he does anything. The cucumber has been cleaning the sand non-stop since I put him in the tank.

My diamond goby cleans the sand sparkling clean I would recommend a really coarse substrate like Special Reef grade 1-2mm or they can create dust. He also eats mysis like crazy, I actually considered returning him the first week because I was scared he'd starve but once he got a taste for mysis he's turned into a greedy pig.

A Cucumber is kind of limited by the rock work IME. I'd rather just use a power head and stir up the substrate once every month or so right before a water change. It's amazing what can accumulate UNDER your rocks sometimes and with a power head you have access to that. A Cucumber is good, but I'm better. ;)

Back