Red and Green slim problems

TPS-Dive

I've got red and green slim growing all over in my tank. Its killing my birds nest. The green slim is all over my palythoa's but doesn't seem to be harming them.

Nitrates are 0 and PH is around 8.2. I gone to blackouts on Sundays but that doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Any ideas?

IMG_3518.jpg

IMG_3519.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

You could be testing low as the algae consumes it....so bear that in mind. The best way to get it is to suck it out and get something good to compete with it. Have you looked into ethanol (vodka) dosing? It can help by getting bacteria and plankton to compete with the nutrients and starve off the algae. I have not have a huge problem with it, but I did have a cyano breakout in my tank at home and I did not find altering or blacking out the photoperiod to be of any help whatsoever. I know there are many threads advocating it, but I have certainly not found the experience they did. I used the red slime remover and it never came back.

Also, if it is all over your rockwork.....you may want to just swap it out with some better stuff. I had to do that on my smallest tank. If you grab LR from within a few yards of the shore.....it will suck. I go out and get the stuff that stays submerged at low tide.

Good luck.

Do you think cheato may help? Does anyone have some to spare? I have not done a water change in months. I usually use water straight from the ocean. Maybe I should start mixing my own?

Chaetomorphia or garcilaria are my favorites.....with gracilaria #1. I do not use any here though as I do not have a refugium. I have use 90% ocean seawater here and not had any problems. You might want to really change your WC cycle. I do a 10-20% WC every couple to 3 weeks. That may be you problem......no export of nutrients over several months and nowhere for them to go.

Do you think cheato may help? Does anyone have some to spare? I have not done a water change in months. I usually use water straight from the ocean. Maybe I should start mixing my own?

I have a shitload of it, rife with pods that you are welcome to a good chunk of.

and I use water from ACO.

I would have to aggree with Patrick you need to do at least 10% water changes every other week. The more you do the better the results will be. I have used NSW for two years here with no problems.

I usually go about a mile offshore in one of my friends boats but you can also purchase it at the Fish Lady or ACO has it as well.

Maybe due to nutrient build up over the last few months. Stuff tends to accumulate and cause problems if not removed through water changes or other means. When you do your next water change, try about 10%, take out the effected rocks and clean the nasty stuff of with qtips or a new toothbrush. I just had to replace a couple rocks because nothing I tried would stop the algae from coming back. I'm pretty sure they were leaching phosphates and would not get better anytime soon. If you collect your own rocks look for some deeper water choices with lots of coralline on them. I find the nasty stuff tends to not grow on rocks already colonized by the coralline. Also shake them off tons underwater and try to scrape all the stuff that might be growing on them while still in the ocean. It will serve to reduce die off and reduce misc. crap coming out when you put them in your tank. I've gotten some really nice pieces using this method and with almost no nasty stuff and no curing issues. Some of the pieces I've gotten from OAC have issues with brown nastiness growing in places. I really don't know why but maybe they weren't colonized enough with the good stuff when I got them, allowing for nuisance algae to get a foothold.

Also I mix my own water using RO/DI and the Coral Pro salt at petbox. It's pretty much a ripoff but I haven't had great luck using water from the ocean. What kind of filtration are you using?

I have a Romora/Urchin skimmer in the sump along with some live rock. I've ordered some active carbon so I will start that probably next week when it arrives. I'll probably remove the live rock from the sump when I do a water change today.

The thought of removing rocks from the tank is dreadful. But I probably do need to scrub one rock in particular.

Oh, can you direct some strong flow at affected areas? This might help with it also. Really though scraping it off, siphoning it out and putting some more flow in the area would be a good first step to see if it comes back.

Can you get zeozym or purigen locally? Anyone ever try Chemi-clean by boyd?

I did a water change last week. I went in to add the charcoal I received in the mail last friday and the red stuff multiplied over the weekend. looking at the middle picture above the red slime is covering the sand bed and hanging from the tip of the hard coral. I sucked up what I could. I hate this red stuff.

do you have a sea cucumber in your tank? mine keeps my sand clean as hell.. though the fat bastard does knock stuff around.

I have 3 small cone snails and a hand full of nassarius snails.

yeah, I got rid of all my big crabs and sea urchins. I got tired of them knocking everything over.

Back