Red bugs, what do i do?

The Reefer91

my new acro i got from a guys tank has red bugs. i forgot to dip, so it's in the tank. is there anything i can do? please help :(

twon8

Formally registered membe
you need interceptor, the dosage of lugol's nec. to kill/stun red bugs will nearly kill the acro

reefsahoy

I can see thru you!
i had red bugs and used interceptor. lost a few crabs. make sure you remove any wanted shrimps. i used 300% dosage for a shorter time and no more red bugs go now for 5 months.

reefkoi

Premium Member
I just added a coral late last night, I saw some red bugs on it this morning, I pulled the coral out and put it into a bucket. I added some lugols, but i guess that isnt going to work? I hope it didnt spread to my other corals, is dipping it in interceptor the only thing I can do?

twon8

Formally registered membe
the lugols may stun the red bugs allowing you to blow them off, but it's not 100% and like i said earlier, lugols' is harsh to acros.

reefkoi

Premium Member
well o.k. I am ordering the interceptor then. Lets say I want to dip my acros, I am planning on hitting the tank also, but new arrivals I want to dip. How much per gallon? do I need to buy an expensive scale? and measure out the amount required for 1-2 gallons? will overdosing in a dip situation kill the coral??
Thanks for any help.
Chris

jeffbrig

Premium Member
http://www.ericborneman.com/Tegastes-content/Dorton treatment.htm

Personally, I like to use the small dog variety of interceptor when treating frags in a bucket. The large dog pill is enough to treat 380g. If you want to divide that up carefully to treat smaller volumes, you are more than welcome to. The small dog version is 1/10 strength, so each pill treats 38 gallons, and it has that same great beef flavor :D. I use half a pill in a 5g bucket or an 8g rubbermaid bin, depending on the number of corals being treated. Everything gets a dip before it goes into the display.

Stoney Mahony

Unfortunately, I have used a dip of 1/4 large interceptor tablet in 4 gallons of water and dipped infected acros for an hour. There were still live rb's when I took out the acro. I believe a stronger dose is needed if you don't want to have to do it again in a few months. I dosed my 75g total water volume with one large pill and have been RB free for months and my pod population came back to full steam about a month after treatment. I would not trust 1 large pill in 380 gallons, I think at that low of dosage you might risk having a few RB's developing immunity against the treatment. Just my opinion/experience :)

jeffbrig

Premium Member
An hour isn't long enough, Dorton said as much even when testing 100X strength dips. I do dips of 6 hours minimum, and usually overnight at 3-5X.